Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSV Hvac Question

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Have you tried doing a HVAC reset? In the VE (might be different for VF) you press and hold the rear demist button for 10 seconds or so until you hear all the actuators start moving under the dash.

If that doesn’t fix the issue then you have a problem, mostly likely a dodgy actuator or the drive spline on the recirc door is shattered. On my SSV it was the recirc door, which is a PITA to replace.
For the VF, and without a factory scan tool on hand, you can use the alternate method to do the HVAC recalibration process.

The alternate method is (1) ignition off and then (2) remove the HVAC control module fuse for a minimum of 10 seconds. Then (3) install the HVAC control module fuse and (4) start the vehicle and then wait a minimum of 40 second for the module to perform it's recalibration process.

If i read the workshop manual corretly, the HVAC control module 10A fuse is within the underhood fuse block and is fuse F46UA.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
I think it would be an air mix motor issue. If it was a leak, the whole system would go down, not just one side. The air mix is usually on each side or zone and is actuated by either vacuum or power. It opens or closes a flap to adjust the outgoing air temp to the desired setting

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
For the VF, and without a factory scan tool on hand, you can use the alternate method to do the HVAC recalibration process.

The alternate method is (1) ignition off and then (2) remove the HVAC control module fuse for a minimum of 10 seconds. Then (3) install the HVAC control module fuse and (4) start the vehicle and then wait a minimum of 40 second for the module to perform it's recalibration process.

If i read the workshop manual corretly, the HVAC control module 10A fuse is within the underhood fuse block and is fuse F46UA.
Why am I not surprised that they made it more difficult for the VF? Glad I don’t have a VF then because I have to reset my HVAC every second or third time I hop in the car as it’s basically a coin toss if it will get stuck on feet only.

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
I had a similar problem with mine. The drivers side was the right temperature but the passenger side was much warmer when the zone was set to match.
I used the reset procedure as outlined above and it fixed the problem.
From memory I thought the fuse was in the fuse block at the end of the dashboard just inside the driver's door.

Simba355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn
I will try that this afternoon. The only thi g I could find was pulling fuse 14 or disconnecting the battery

Simba355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn
Have you tried doing a HVAC reset? In the VE (might be different for VF) you press and hold the rear demist button for 10 seconds or so until you hear all the actuators start moving under the dash.

If that doesn’t fix the issue then you have a problem, mostly likely a dodgy actuator or the drive spline on the recirc door is shattered. On my SSV it was the recirc door, which is a PITA to replace.
Is that for ve or vf?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
No go gents
If a recalibrtion didn't help your situation then i'd suggest you'd have to dive further into a proper diagnosis :(

I'd suggest you should start with getting a full scan of DTC's within all modules. Such is an important proess as a first step just to get an idea of what the system sees if anything. The HVAC related DTC's don't set check engine lamp and i'm not sure if any messages are sent to the Driver Information Dispaly. That may mean other than heat, cold or air distribution being a noticable problem, you may not get any indication from the car's brains itself that something is wrong

The factory scan tool is best for such full system scans and allows for bettter diagnosis by someone who is skilled and spends the time to do a proper diagnosis rather than start throwing parts at it. Just be aware that DTC /= a part to replace. A DTC is just a start point for the diagnostic process to begin.

Really, the issue could be with one of the motors, the module that controls the motors, wires between the various bits or the worst it can be some meachanical issue with some flap or vane within the gubbins of the system under your dash (=$$$) :oops:

The VF workshop manual PDF is one place to get an idea on how the VF HVAC system works and what DTC's it can raise. Best to use a PC to read the PDF and use the bookmaks pane to be able to navigate the doc as teh internal links dont work.

Hope you get to the bottom of it.

Let us all know how you progress ;)

Simba355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn
Has a leak in line from condenser as mentioned above.

$700 for the job with a genuine line. Bit expensive?