Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSV or Subaru WRX Premium? Your opinions please

Gusthebear

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Sportwagon
My long term average in the wrx is 11.8l/100km, mostly in sydney traffic. Not expecting the redline will be able to match that.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
My long term average in the wrx is 11.8l/100km, mostly in sydney traffic. Not expecting the redline will be able to match that.
Yeah you are right, if you really baby it the best you can get is low 15's in real heavy start stop traffic.

Phil the shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 ssv manual ute
Thanks for the replies lads. She's gone a bit cold on the idea of the wrx now,she got really scared when I told to put the boot in, my fault really. I just wanted her to see that the motor performance was in no way comparable to her old imprezza.
She had previously choked on the idea of paying near $50k for something with the same size motor as her old car, said she wanted something with some power. Took quite awhile to get her to even consider test driving the Rex, and the way she was driving it until I intervened, she would have remained convinced that it was no more powerfull than the old imprezza.
I explained all about turbo chargers and such... But it just went through to the keeper.
She's now convinced that she would lose her license if she got a wrx, despite my argument that she doesn't necessarily need to drive it hard.
She reckons I just want to b able to have my v8 ute and get to drive a zippy little sports car too...
She might have me on that one!:beer chug::beer chug:

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Took quite awhile to get her to even consider test driving the Rex, and the way she was driving it until I intervened, she would have remained convinced that it was no more powerfull than the old imprezza.
I explained all about turbo chargers and such... But it just went through to the keeper.
She's now convinced that she would lose her license if she got a wrx

Silly question, has she given the SSV a a proper boot full? If she is convinced she would lose her licence in the WRX then im sure it would be the same deal in the SSV as its just as quick and even worse it does not feel like you are over the limit till you look at the speedo and its reading 140kph lol

Phil the shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 ssv manual ute
Silly question, has she given the SSV a a proper boot full? If she is convinced she would lose her licence in the WRX then im sure it would be the same deal in the SSV as its just as quick and even worse it does not feel like you are over the limit till you look at the speedo and its reading 140kph lol

You are of course, quite right and no she never got much of a chance to give the ssv a burst. It was a brand new one that they just threw a traders plate on , so they weren't willing to let it go very far. She said the salesman gave it a bit of a burst, but I'm guessing nothing like the way we drove the wrx.
I really don't know what she's gonna do now. My missus can't make a decision about what flavour ice cream to buy, so this car buying thing is gonna take a loooonnnggg time!
I'm now 100%!in favour of the wrx. It ticks a lot of boxes for her, just falls a little short in the comfort stakes is all.
I gotta work on her to get her over this whole scaredy cat thing.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
You are of course, quite right and no she never got much of a chance to give the ssv a burst. It was a brand new one that they just threw a traders plate on , so they weren't willing to let it go very far. She said the salesman gave it a bit of a burst, but I'm guessing nothing like the way we drove the wrx.
I really don't know what she's gonna do now. My missus can't make a decision about what flavour ice cream to buy, so this car buying thing is gonna take a loooonnnggg time!
I'm now 100%!in favour of the wrx. It ticks a lot of boxes for her, just falls a little short in the comfort stakes is all.
I gotta work on her to get her over this whole scaredy cat thing.

Fair enough, if she gives the SSV a proper hit it will scare her aswell lol. Point being they are both very similar performance wise, its everything else that is different. Have you done a pros and cons list for each car?

imo

SSV Pros -

Comfort
Cheap to service
Plenty or power and more importantly bucket loads of torque.
Better equipped with more gadgets.

SSV cons -

Can be thirsty if driven hard
Not as refined eg Fit and finish - this seems to be debatable.
Not as sharp in the corners as the WRX
In general not as reliable as a Subaru.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
What in particular makes you rate the SSV so far ahead of a WRX? When it comes to fit and finish, reliability and general build quality the Subaru is by far the better car and im a Holden guy.

Because for a daily driver, I want comfort and room, not a car that is rigid taught and uncompromising like a Rex - To quote Phil the Shearer "the subby feels raw , rigid and sharp". If you want that then buy a Rex. As I said I've driven plenty of Subby's. They're Ok, but a Rex is a $25K car that costs around twice as much as it's faster than the base model IMO. If I wanted a buzz box I'd buy a Rex. They're good fun. But if I wanted a car that's equally as fast or faster in standard trim, can tow my boat with ease and get me and 3 or 4 others from one side of the country to the other in comfort and safety, with great fuel economy (relatively for such a heavy car with a big V8) then go the SSV. Oh and I rate the build quality of the VF ahead of Subby. Most Subby's I've been in as I've said before are rattle boxes.

Phil the shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 ssv manual ute
Fair enough, if she gives the SSV a proper hit it will scare her aswell lol. Point being they are both very similar performance wise, its everything else that is different. Have you done a pros and cons list for each car?

imo

SSV Pros -

Comfort
Cheap to service
Plenty or power and more importantly bucket loads of torque.
Better equipped with more gadgets.

SSV cons -

Can be thirsty if driven hard
Not as refined eg Fit and finish - this seems to be debatable.
Not as sharp in the corners as the WRX
In general not as reliable as a Subaru.

Yeah that pretty much sums up our thoughts on the two. I don't think she could tolerate the kind of hassles some people have had with the vf,s, she can be....eeeerrmm, unforgiving!
I don't think she would have any problems with the Subaru , we both think they are much better made than holdens.