Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSV redline 6.0 pinging?

ozziii

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Oh ok, thats gotta piss anyone off. Hopefully they get something done.
My brother works at the Holden dealer he got his car from so hopefully he will have more luck, they are one of the top dealers in Australia so that might help as well. I'll get him to organise something with the head mechanic there & see what they say once they go for a proper drive & hear it.
I thought if it was actual pinging then the lower quality 91 & 95 fuels would make it ping worse, but it doesn't, the noise is always the same even with 98.

fjwb

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 cv8
I used to work for this dealership as a mechanic and then parts manager and filled in for the service manager while he was away. It's changed hands and a lot of staff since but they still know me and now know I'm pissed off.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
are the ssv the e85 ones..? can always try a tank of that because the ethanol has way higher threshold to ping then petrol and on a standard tune should defiantly not ping so if the sound is still there its something alse...

fjwb

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 cv8
Yes it's E85 compatible. No one local stocks the fuel and I don't currently have the car. I won't pick it up Til it's fixed.

whitey5759

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
I will be very interested to hear the outcome. I have the same issue with my VF SSV. I reported the noise within a few thousand kms, even had a holden dealer send a mechanic out with me. They told me they believed they heard it and its a noise echoing in the exhaust as a result of, and I quote, the "mandrell bends in the headers".

Holden mechanic even took me for a drive in a new SS from off the lot - it made the same noise.

I too thought it was pinging but have run multiple tanks of 98 and e85 and the noise is the same. Sounds like a mild pinging when accelerating (with transmission engaged - revving it in neutral doesn't replicate).

fjwb

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 cv8
They put a new harmonic balancer on it today then ring me to tell me it didn't fix the noise. I politely said, "I told you so". They have finally refered it to Holden.

VBhero

Reaction score
Website
www.australia4wd.com
Members Ride
VXII SS A4
Surely they would plug in a Tech II take it for a drive and see if there is any KR? At least that is what I would do if I had a customer complaining of a pinging type noise.

Don't need any special quals to do that, just gotta know how to drive the Tech II...

fjwb

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 cv8
They finally contacted Holden tas and after changing harmonic balancer, 'relaxing' the exhaust system and numerous other things they got someone to take another one for a drive and they reckon the noise is the same if not worse in the other car. So are stating its a characteristic of the vehicle. That's all well and good but it still has a noise that annoys me. It still seems odd that it only does it under throttle. Maybe a tune is on the cards to see if that changes the noise. It's not loud by any means but I have a pretty keen ear and it shits me. So if it is a characteristic of the vehicle it is still making the noise, so what is it? Is it just noise through the exhaust as someone states above? Has anyone else with an ssv redline auto heard the noise?

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Noise you are describing was there when I test drove (late 2013). Salesman said all of them make the same sound, I didn't believe him at the time but it seems he may have been right to some degree. I bought the car anyway out of necessity and loved it apart from the rattle, seat clips, mylink etc....... As fjwb states "It's not loud by any means" but it was loud enough to easy as pie point out to others. Long story short, got an exhaust, intake and tune and can't hear it anymore, however it may be still present under the burble.