Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF steering issue

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
they are saying this could be characteristics of the car
I would of lost it at that point and started screaming the roof down don't tell fuckenlies ,thats why I think most dealers are dogs its only the steering if something happens and oldmate kills someone the dealer wont help it will sit there and say there was nothing wrong with it if he doesn't see things your way after you finish yelling chin him. Go find a car nut cop ask him to drive it and put a canary on it and post it all over facebook and state holden are holding out on recalling vehicles with faulty steering how long until some is killed due to this fault holden are too stingie to fix?

Last edited:

16SSWag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SS Black wagon
OK I been in contact with my dealer again, after I had a chance to calm down and talk properly instead of screaming and foaming at the mouth. They agreed to push Holden and get this sorted ASAP. Apparently Holden checks the parts returned to make sure they are really the issue parts or the dealer gets the bill. Hence why my dealer is reluctant to just swap out the steering rack. I did point out that's not my problem to sort out and just fix my car. Will follow up again in a couple of days to check the progress. I hope they are not just saying this to keep me obey.

SSVREDLINE2014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
My 2013 vf redline recently just had the steering rack changed. My car randomly would lock up while driving. Holden told me that early builds had the problem..

BLOWN-WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman-Caprice collection
My 2013 vf redline recently just had the steering rack changed. My car randomly would lock up while driving. Holden told me that early builds had the problem..
Ouch sorry to hear that.
Just out of curiosity is the issue on the earlier 2013 builds happens due to high km wear/tear or can just happen at random?
Concerned now to hear this as mine is a 2013 build also :(

Skid wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv wagon
I have a 2013 ssv wagon and i had the same issue with the wheel not returning to center and steering going hard half way around a corner only had 70 000kms on it when it happened Took it into the dealer twice with the issue first time they dod not notice it but on the second visit agreed that the steering rack was failing and replaced the steering rack under warranty. Was informed that It is a known issue but not a common one.

SSVREDLINE2014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I heard it was with the early 2013 builds including the USA police cars that got exported at the time. Not sure how mine happened but could have been wear and tear since my car had 67,000km when the issue happened.

Ouch sorry to hear that.
Just out of curiosity is the issue on the earlier 2013 builds happens due to high km wear/tear or can just happen at random?
Concerned now to hear this as mine is a 2013 build also :(

16SSWag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SS Black wagon
Finally got my 2016 wagon in today for a steering rack replacement. Apparently earlier this week Holden got a new set of vin ranges that has faulty steering rack and my vin is included in that set of vins. Which I think is the only reason Holden approved the replacement otherwise I think I would still be fighting it. Only been like 6 month arguing back and forth....

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Only been like 6 month arguing back and forth what a great company its really good to know money is more important than any road user has the issue killed anyone yet?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Finally got my 2016 wagon in today for a steering rack replacement. Apparently earlier this week Holden got a new set of vin ranges that has faulty steering rack and my vin is included in that set of vins. Which I think is the only reason Holden approved the replacement otherwise I think I would still be fighting it. Only been like 6 month arguing back and forth....

May I ask for the build date of your car? I'd be interested to find out what the VIN range or build date range is of the troublesome steering racks.

16SSWag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SS Black wagon
I will ask them in more detail when I go pick up my car. Vin range and issue. But mine is built in June 2016.