Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF steering issue

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
Only been like 6 month arguing back and forth what a great company its really good to know money is more important than any road user has the issue killed anyone yet?
Yeah I'm less and less happy about any customer service after a sale of car from dealers they can't even listen to simple instructions. Probably wouldn't get another holden (daily driver) as a result.

cashie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
Yeah I'm less and less happy about any customer service after a sale of car from dealers they can't even listen to simple instructions. Probably wouldn't get another holden (daily driver) as a result.
As you quoted, it's a dealer issue generally when these things occur.
Find a good dealer and you won't experience service like that.
Holden aren't stupid, they aren't going to mess with delaying a warranty repair on a safety item such as a steering rack, a dealer on the other hand......

16SSWag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SS Black wagon
It wasn't a bulletin as such, they called it tech line and includes a range of vins that are effected by intermittent steering going heavy and light. Don't think it comes as a recall but customer complaining of this issue in their vehicle get warrant claim straight away otherwise will require approval by gm. Dealer didn't go into detail what is causing the steering to behave this way. Maybe people in the know here can provide more detail and verify what I have been told is correct or not. Either way my steering feels pretty good now

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
My July 2013 build with 97500kms on the clock has not experienced this steering issue thankfully. As it has been indicated that mostly early build vehicles are affected, does anyone have the VINs affected. My VF is now out of warranty but of course are concerned about the safety issue.

Megsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Commodore
January 2014 build getting a new steering rack tomorrow. Started locking up last Friday and already had the 'fix' under the service campaign in 2015. Dealer put it straight through for approval even though out of warranty.
Also there's a current service campaign for rear wiring harness that will be done at the same time.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
That's great. Did you have to fight for it or was it easy to get them to do it?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V v6 S1
2015 Calais V steering column lock came up on display. Although they called now said they replaced the rack.(Warranty)

2015 build Feb

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The dealer does not give the 3 yr /100000 km warranty - GMH does.
According to Australian Consumer Law, it is the business that warrants a product they sold so that is fit for service and is of of acceptable quality. There is no length defined within the ACL legislation for this statutory warranty which can not be avoided.

The business that sold the product can not simply handball it to the manufacturer who can often state it's outside the manufacturers warrranty period. Remember, the legal obligation is for the seller to resolving the issue with the purchaser. The real kicker is that if the issue is classified as a 'major fault', the choice of remedy is at the purcaser discretion so he can ask to have it repaired, a new one provided or a full refund of the purchase price.

Obviously the manufacturer may aid the seller by providing a manufacturers warranty but this does not absolve the seller of his legal obligations. And it's here i think too many people get confused and acccept what they are told by the seller and or the manufacturer.

Sadly, even the ACCC or Consumer Affairs groups sometimes talk as if it is the manufacturer that is legally liable for warranty issues, though i think this is in part because the product is sold with a manufacturers warranty which brings in 'making false or missleading declarations' which is part of ACL and applies if the manufacturer tries to wheezle out of fixing something within their manufacturers warranty period. And there are other laws where the manufacturer seems to be on the hook for safety issues though i'm not sure what legislation that falls under.

Everyone should do themselves a favor and read the ACL and hopefully people can then be more knowledgeable when standing up for their legislated rights.

As for the OP's steering issue, i'd say that is a major fault (and a safety concern) so he should have spoken with the consumer affairs group in his state and got some advise on how to approach the dealer to get this fixed under the statuatory warranty. When/if the Dealer is faced with a full refund, suddenly the issue of spending time to correctly diagnose the fault seems to fade away and oddly the dealer and manufacturer seem to communicate much better.

Luckily OP's vehicle was included in a recall range of VINS but this never should have taken 6 months to resolve this major fault and safety concern.

Maybe as more people push their ACL rights in law, either more refunds will occur or the government will change the law to protect the guilty...

Last edited: