Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF sv6 - headunit Non-nav to Nav

DanDan1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF sv6
Hi all,

My sv6 doesn't gave navigation, I've always intended on upgrading to nav, but wanted the standard (so no loss of functionality).
I found a headunit from a sv6 storm with navigation, would changing the headunit and the buttons work? Or is there more needed?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
for the whole conversion you need to change the base unit(silverbox) the screen and the buttons.
the reason you need to change the screen is because the button logic is programmed into the screen.

you will also need to get your vin programmed into the silverbox so it does not go into lockout mode.
you can find people that do it on ebay where you send them the silverbox and they program it and send it back
like this https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/353495936872

a gps antenna with a "fakra" connectior will be required too, you can get them on ebay pretty cheap
like this one https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201090950244

keep in mind that there are no map updates for the oem navigation, the last one i think was around 2016/17 and there are no options to update beyond that date.

DanDan1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF sv6
for the whole conversion you need to change the base unit(silverbox) the screen and the buttons.
the reason you need to change the screen is because the button logic is programmed into the screen.

you will also need to get your vin programmed into the silverbox so it does not go into lockout mode.
you can find people that do it on ebay where you send them the silverbox and they program it and send it back
like this https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/353495936872

a gps antenna with a "fakra" connectior will be required too, you can get them on ebay pretty cheap
like this one https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201090950244

keep in mind that there are no map updates for the oem navigation, the last one i think was around 2016/17 and there are no options to update beyond that date.
Thanks heaps stooge,
The bloke at the wreckers said he'll give me the button console, the screen/unit and the antenna...

Not sure about the programming of the vin though will see how that can get done

Cheers

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Thanks heaps stooge,
The bloke at the wreckers said he'll give me the button console, the screen/unit and the antenna...

Not sure about the programming of the vin though will see how that can get done

Cheers

nice.

the vin programming is easy, like i mentioned before you just send the silverbox via post to the guy on ebay and he will program your vin into it and send it back.

if you are tech savvy you can do it yourself but for 60 bucks or so it is easier/cheaper.

the diy option requires a chip programmer which can cost more than the ebay programming service

DanDan1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF sv6
nice.

the vin programming is easy, like i mentioned before you just send the silverbox via post to the guy on ebay and he will program your vin into it and send it back.

if you are tech savvy you can do it yourself but for 60 bucks or so it is easier/cheaper.

the diy option requires a chip programmer which can cost more than the ebay programming service
[/URL]
Ahhh nice one. Cheers man. Missed that

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Have done the exact swap myself on my own SV6, and its pretty straight forward once the programming and parts are sorted

I went through Envoyus Customs, they sent out a little white programming box (That's been pre-programmed with your cars vin) you plug into the OBD2 below the steering wheel, follow the start instructions and job done. You'll see the "VIN Locked" prompt disappear from the mylink screen (You then send the programming box back)

You can get GPS antennas that most just leave stuffed behind the head unit in the dash.

Or you can go full OCD mode like me, and get a 3-4m Fakra cable and OEM GPS antenna and run the cable from the back of the head unit, along the interior of the dash, up the "A" pillar and along the back of the roof lining. Then replace your non GPS antenna with a GPS one. More work, same result, but I like the factory look :)

Reactions: Lex

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Or you can go full OCD mode like me, and get a 3-4m Fakra cable and OEM GPS antenna and run the cable from the back of the head unit, along the interior of the dash, up the "A" pillar and along the back of the roof lining. Then replace your non GPS antenna with a GPS one. More work, same result, but I like the factory look :)I did the same a couple of years ago.
Yeah, I guess I was OCD in retrospect, doing the same, but I also wanted the full factory setup.
Envyous customs would have been better than the ebay route - less postage, no potential damage to the head unit and better communication.
The hardest parts for me were ensuring the trim on the console didn't get damaged from the sharp edges of the head unit and make sure you reset the unit. Mine didn't follow roads until I did that reset step. It also gets rid of any previous owner's stored destinations, bluetoothed phones etc.
Make sure you get wagon for wagon or sedan for sedan, or else the rear camera is offset and the graphics show the correct body type.
Could be programmed out, I suppose, but that's above my pay grade.

Reactions: Lex

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Make sure the silverbox is included in the sale?
Otherwise it won't work (part missing).