Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF sv6 SII idle vibration/resonance

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Just the standard Holden dealers comment regarding anything unusual, " that's normal and well within limits"

When you compare to half a dozen different cars, that's where Holden's diagnosis ends. If something like that is considered to be a characteristic, the dealers don't get paid to chase it, change it, or replace any parts for it. You'll find that's a trait of all the manufacturers (i.e. to not replace parts that aren't faulty). I see you bagging Holden and its dealers regularly, and having worked for half a dozen different brands, I can tell you that these traits aren't unique to Holden dealers. In fact Holden are very lax with a lot of things and are focusing very heavily on the "customer experience" at the moment. If you have such a problem with Holden then perhaps another brand might be for you.

Some people need to understand that they haven't bought a $100,000 Mercedes and should stop expecting as such.

AJAY79

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 Storm Sportswagon
The price of the car is irrelevant – the dealer, a representative of the manufacturer, has an obligation to its customer.

When a consumer purchases a product ( especially a brand new product ), there is an expectation that the product shall be supplied without faults – clearly, there are faults.

Not ALL models produced have this particular fault. To dismiss any fault as a characteristic is negligence.

Whether or not the dealer gets paid to rectify the fault should not matter. Its poor customer service, and a failure of their duty of care.

What other manufacturers and their dealers do is irrelevant. Holden should be leading by example.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
I get this too ( VF SV6 S1 Storm )

Mine generally behaves like this at start up, and when gently applying brakes before coming to a stop.

I will bring it to the attention of the dealer when it goes in for its first service.

Some i have spoken to believe it may be aircon related..

Taking you braking symptoms in isolation -

The power brake unit could it be leaking air into the inlet manifold when the brake pedal is applied?
This would under some circumstances change the A/F mixture and possibly inject hydraulic brake fluid as well, change the fuel quality, and thus idle causing engine miss etc..

From past experience, a mate was losing brake fluid from the reservoir and needed topping up fairly often.
The problem was a faulty diaphragm or seal in the vacuum tank unit which was sucking through the reservoir's fluid.
From memory, the exhaust put out a white smoke vapour after the brake pedal was applied and the brake fluid was burnt away..

We removed the rubber hose and one-way valve seal at the vacuum tank and were able to find the tank was wet with brake fluid.

Davskii

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 MY14 VF SV6 Commodore
Warranty runs out at the end of the month. Holden is keeping it overnight again for a cold start tomorrow morning. Hopefully this time they can fix the problem.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
The price of the car is irrelevant – the dealer, a representative of the manufacturer, has an obligation to its customer.

The price is not irrelevant. If a matter goes to the dept. of fair trading (or relevant department by state) the price of the item can play a part in any ongoing issues or negotiations. The supplier of a $10 item for example has less of an obligation compared to the supplier of a $100 item. It's even in the guidelines for arbitration that a cheaper product is reasonably required to have a lesser expectation of quality and support (within reason).

When a consumer purchases a product ( especially a brand new product ), there is an expectation that the product shall be supplied without faults – clearly, there are faults.

If they all do it, then it's not a fault. It's considered "sale by example" and if all vehicles of a similar type in a demonstrating showroom exhibit a particular characteristic then it's clearly not a fault. Again within reason - a resonance at a particular rpm would be considered different to the wheels falling off.

treesnake

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Sv6 SII Sedan
Im just wanting to know if other sv6 VF sii owners have the same or not. If they are all like that, ill have to live with it. I guess I may only really know if I go to a dealer and ask to start another VF and tap the throttle. The lumpy idle is not ideal ( the missus complains why does the car shake at the traffic lights?? ) , but what I really cant stand is the resonance that comes in around 560rpm and disappears at around 565rpm. These vibrations are amplified and rattle though the whole car.
Chasing resonance could be a near impossible task, thinking the only thing that could perhaps be changed out is the torque converter. The torque converter is meant to have a spring-mass damper system to cancel the vibrations out, perhaps it isn't working quite to spec.
resonance wears out things prematurely if they are not designed for it

davskii, looking forwarding to hearing how you went.

Overall my VE sv6 2007 was silky smooth, no vibs, no lumpy idle. Would have thought 10 years + in design would at least produce the same quality engine. a little disappointed with my purchase so far :(

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
My VF SII SV6 does the same thing at the light occasionally, although I can't say that I have experienced the 560rpm resonance.

My car only has 3,000km's on it so I put it down to the car needing to be worn in.

I also assumed that the lumpy idle could be caused by the PCV valve releasing oil vapor into the intake. I will be installi8ng a catch can soon so hopefully that helps.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
My VF SII SV6 does the same thing at the light occasionally, although I can't say that I have experienced the 560rpm resonance.

My car only has 3,000km's on it so I put it down to the car needing to be worn in.

I also assumed that the lumpy idle could be caused by the PCV valve releasing oil vapor into the intake. I will be installi8ng a catch can soon so hopefully that helps.

The alloytec crankcase ventilation is done via a fixed metering hole, about 2.5mm in size (from memory in the VZ donk) no spring loaded valve these days. I used a flexible pipe cleaner and gently pushed it through the metering fitting. I got very little oil or sludge on the cleaner, and using this method I could check that the ventilation airway was always clear. The blow-by is mainly into the inlet tract before the throttle body.

I found the slightest oil mist at the plastic elbow into the throttle body and very little contamination of the throttle plate/body from the blow-by. I cleaned the throttle body in my VZ when I changed the spark plugs; the T/B black oily deposits were small. I cleaned down the IAT/MAF as well. Overall the idle smoothness did improve. (mainly from the plugs I reckon). Generally the alloytec was a clean motor with little blow-by. Then again the set-up was stock, no mods. I started a regime of cleaning the IAT/MAF and T/B and inlet plastic tubing every 5000kms, but I gained very little in idle quality. The T/B stayed fairly clean.

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
The alloytec crankcase ventilation is done via a fixed metering hole, about 2.5mm in size (from memory in the VZ donk) no spring loaded valve these days. I used a flexible pipe cleaner and gently pushed it through the metering fitting. I got very little oil or sludge on the cleaner, and using this method I could check that the ventilation airway was always clear. The blow-by is mainly into the inlet tract before the throttle body.

I found the slightest oil mist at the plastic elbow into the throttle body and very little contamination of the throttle plate/body from the blow-by. I cleaned the throttle body in my VZ when I changed the spark plugs; the T/B black oily deposits were small. I cleaned down the IAT/MAF as well. Overall the idle smoothness did improve. (mainly from the plugs I reckon). Generally the alloytec was a clean motor with little blow-by. Then again the set-up was stock, no mods. I started a regime of cleaning the IAT/MAF and T/B and inlet plastic tubing every 5000kms, but I gained very little in idle quality. The T/B stayed fairly clean.

The VZ Alloytec is likely to have less oil buildup in the intake as it does not have the same direct injection as the LFX. The LFX's injectors spray directly into the cylinders whereas the VZ's spray infront of the valves, so there is less oil buildup as the fuel can clean the intake, making it appear that there is less oil entering the intake.

If you have a look at this thread you can see how much oil vapor is captured by the catch can:
Elite Catch Can Installation (LFX) - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
The VZ Alloytec is likely to have less oil buildup in the intake as it does not have the same direct injection as the LFX. The LFX's injectors spray directly into the cylinders whereas the VZ's spray infront of the valves, so there is less oil buildup as the fuel can clean the intake, making it appear that there is less oil entering the intake.

Not really. The older Alloytecs do spray fuel over the valves, but from a visual standpoint you won't notice ANY difference up the intake when looking via the throttle body. The only difference will be carbon buildup on the back of the valves.