Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF transmission cooler options

Mojo Mick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF commodore
Anyone aware of VF transmission cooler options for the 3L v6?

Cheers

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
There is a factory OEM cooler available, I will soon be installing one on my MY16 VF2 SV6. Normally used on high performance V8 variants but also was on Police spec cars including the V6 models

It adds the external trans radiator to the front of the main radiator, and connects via a thermal bypass block to the main radiator
I can't find it at the moment but I had a screen shot of a quote from a few years back that showed all the parts you needed, will probably run you round the $1500 mark for the parts.

I sourced mine from a wreck, but had to buy a new radiator as I found a crack in the old one. Radiator alone was just over $300

IMG_7238.jpg

Nando.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF ssv redline.
There is a factory OEM cooler available, I will soon be installing one on my MY16 VF2 SV6. Normally used on high performance V8 variants but also was on Police spec cars including the V6 models

It adds the external trans radiator to the front of the main radiator, and connects via a thermal bypass block to the main radiator
I can't find it at the moment but I had a screen shot of a quote from a few years back that showed all the parts you needed, will probably run you round the $1500 mark for the parts.

I sourced mine from a wreck, but had to buy a new radiator as I found a crack in the old one. Radiator alone was just over $300

View attachment 263387
Good morning.
I would like to fit one on my Redline.
I am not sure if my car has one as I never looked.
How much did you pay for the tranny cooler please?

Mojo Mick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF commodore

View attachment 263387
Thanks.
The aftermarket transmission coolers for earlier model commodores are relatively cheap. Shame the price jumps significantly for a setup to suit the VF.

I tried to call Holden last week to get a price, but they weren’t great at answering the phone or returning calls.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
also was on Police spec cars including the V6 models
Yes, police pack VF2 Evokes had the trans cooler and a 3 litre engine. You'd think a 3.6 engine would be a more beneficial police pack fitment than a trans cooler.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Good morning.
I would like to fit one on my Redline.
I am not sure if my car has one as I never looked.
How much did you pay for the tranny cooler please?

Super late to the party, but yep these can be retrofitted if you have an automatic Redline

Unlikely that it came with one from factory. I think one could get them as a dealer option, but otherwise they were limited to HSV variants or the Motorsport/Magnum/Director editions, plus Police Spec cars. But they are thankfully a bolt on option.

Below is a list of the required parts that was taken from another thread. Note this quote is from 2019 so prices WILL be higher.

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 8.14.45 am.png

Main issue, they are going to shaft you big time on the little retaining clips and fittings. The retainers for example are a tiny little metal cir clip type item. The little black plastic covers that go over the fittings, they are around $28 and you need 8 of them as well. Id try sourcing from the US aftermarket as could be cheaper. Otherwise I just payed $350 for a new Transmission radiator before Christmas.
Yes, police pack VF2 Evokes had the trans cooler and a 3 litre engine. You'd think a 3.6 engine would be a more beneficial police pack fitment than a trans cooler.

Always wondered why SAPOL insisted on just VF Evokes for their patrol cars (Well im guessing just cost) but the fleet pricing can't have been that much different between Evoke/SV6, especially to all the more expensive ones that replaced them. To my knowledge, I dont think they even had any VF SS highway patrol cars. At a car meet I see they kept for their museum the final SAPOL Evoke, which is great, but certainly doesn't cut a presence like the other states final Redline Highway patrol SS's

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
WA hasn’t used V8 police cars for a very long time. Something like 25 years. Might be closer to 30? :oops:

Where did that time go?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Always wondered why SAPOL insisted on just VF Evokes for their patrol cars (Well im guessing just cost) but the fleet pricing can't have been that much different between Evoke/SV6, especially to all the more expensive ones that replaced them. To my knowledge, I dont think they even had any VF SS highway patrol cars. At a car meet I see they kept for their museum the final SAPOL Evoke, which is great, but certainly doesn't cut a presence like the other states final Redline Highway patrol SS's
I don't believe SAPOL used V8's at all. Some highway patrol cars were SV6's and all the city cars marked and unmarked were Evokes. Only the paddy wagon and K9 squad VF utes had the 3.6 engine.

WA hasn’t used V8 police cars for a very long time. Something like 25 years. Might be closer to 30?
VS was the last of the V8's in WA, 27 years ago!