Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF & VE second hand rare & demanding high Prices.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
The only thing that may slow the price crash a little bit is the price of new uninspiring shitboxes we see available these days…

I think the new fuel efficiency standards and all the safety tech shitfuckery will see older cars in general hold their value better.

A lot of people will want cars that don’t have all the high tech safety bs or a small capacity turbo engine, etc required to meet fuel efficiency standards.

That trend can already be seen in 4WDs where old stuff like GQ Patrols, etc hold their value well as an old and simple reliable truck beats a modern electrotrickery 4WD when it counts.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I've been disappointed with every new car I've driven.
Too much beeping, steering that feels like there is a problem in the rack...
5 star ANCAP safety rating makes driving a chore, takes the 'joy of driving' away...

I'll try and keep the ute's running until I cark it. (Daughter already has dibs on the Maloo)

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
But for me the question would be whether the lower mileage car is better or is it better to have some kms under a cars belt where defects could have been found and fixed under (a partly worth while, now worthless) warranty?
In my experience, low km's implying newness providing the vehicle condition matches, will generally sell for the highest price. A low km vehicle used on gravel roads with red dirt and stone chips would be an exception and perhaps vehicles of unpopular colours and features.

Sadly there are the dreamers still asking $100,000 ++++ for cars with delivery kms but the question is whether any such cars have sold for such crazy prices in recent times
These "delivery km" vehicles will always appeal to collectors and sell for the highest prices dependent on what someone is willing to pay, or how much someone wants to sell. I think the 100k+++++ advertisers aren't genuine sellers and will only sell if someone offers a ridiculously high price.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
PS: just checked and new Mustang seem to start at $87k. But new Camaro … can you even get a 2024 Camaro down under :oops: But as to a 4 door V8, that seems to be in big bucks territory as you’d need to look at some German offering o_O
Yep, large powerful proper cars are almost gone, short of paying German money for one about the closest thing you’ll get new is a (not sold in Oz) Chrysler based on a 1991 E-Class.
Prices of everything kinda shock me if I’m honest, in my mind a Rustang is about a $60k RRP car … but then a Golf GTI costs $60k for what I think is a $40k car, a Golf R costs $80k for what I think is a $55k car, you can pay $45k for a $30k Corolla with nary even an attempt at anything relating to performance …

I think they stopped converting Camaros to Correct Hand Drive because they wanted to use all their resources converting trucks, which are considerably more profitable.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute

Yeah, the cheapest Motorsport edition commodore is $56k + orc for a 180,000kms old vehicle, and I’m sure there is room for negotiations. Then MSE’s jump up to $65k + orc for vehicles around 70,000kms and the asking prices slowly go up from there.

With low km versions, the asking price is higher but not always. There are people asking $80k for cars that have travelled somewhere between 20,000kms and 40,000kms. Yet one white manual with only 1,150kms has an owner asking $80,213 + orc. Typo, bait & switch, who knows… But for me the question would be whether the lower mileage car is better or is it better to have some kms under a cars belt where defects could have been found and fixed under (a partly worth while, now worthless) warranty?

Sadly there are the dreamers still asking $100,000 ++++ for cars with delivery kms but the question is whether any such cars have sold for such crazy prices in recent times :rolleyes:

The reality is that the Covid price bubble has burst and it’s probably going to be a steep downward slope from now on. The only thing that may slow the price crash a little bit is the price of new uninspiring shitboxes we see available these days… but then again it’s been a while since I’ve looked at what’s available in the new car market so maybe there is something inspiring not crazy priced out there :rolleyes:

PS: just checked and new Mustang seem to start at $87k. But new Camaro … can you even get a 2024 Camaro down under :oops: But as to a 4 door V8, that seems to be in big bucks territory as you’d need to look at some German offering o_O

A new Lexus LC 500 convertable (5L 2-door coupe and their only non-SUV V8 that I can find available in Austalia) will set you back a mere
$218,715 in Sydney. Seems the large Lexus 4-doors are all 3.5L twin turbo sixes now.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Maybe they could drop the price on Mustangs by deleting the rear seats, which are unusable anyway. Even worse than the rear seats in a Ranger.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Yep, large powerful proper cars are almost gone, short of paying German money for one about the closest thing you’ll get new is a (not sold in Oz) Chrysler based on a 1991 E-Class.
Prices of everything kinda shock me if I’m honest, in my mind a Rustang is about a $60k RRP car … but then a Golf GTI costs $60k for what I think is a $40k car, a Golf R costs $80k for what I think is a $55k car, you can pay $45k for a $30k Corolla with nary even an attempt at anything relating to performance …

I think they stopped converting Camaros to Correct Hand Drive because they wanted to use all their resources converting trucks, which are considerably more profitable.
This is the new world order of pricing of any asset, service or consumable.
And supply is so limited.
I don't know where the world is heading - at least I've had my free vaxs.

Dodgy_Davo

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0
I don’t know if it even need a rate rise for this to happen, everyone who thought they wanted to own a V8 & had better get in before the last ones go away has had 7-8 years to do so now … even the YOLO attitude during COVID that pushed them up was always gonna fade, we’re just getting closer to “reality” now.

Having said that, if good special edition cars (MSE & Motorsport) with decent km’s are sitting around unsold for ~$50k, that doesn’t sound like terrible value. Let’s say you negotiated it down to $45k, it’s more fun & no less reliable than a new Golf GTI which would cost you more. Sure it’ll depreciate like a Holden for another 20 years before starting to come up as a classic collectible (and only if petrol continues to be plentiful & cheap by then), but it still doesn’t look like awful value if you compare to other alternatives.

Agree it was a number of things going on over the last few years .. the toys are usually the first thing to go when folks start getting squeezed a bit though...im just getting ready to swoop in to snatch up a juicy Chevy Silverado + 2x jet ski combo meal deal when the fire sales start happening soon :p

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
im just getting ready to swoop in to snatch up a juicy Chevy Silverado + 2x jet ski combo meal deal when the fire sales start happening soon :p
Look if you’re really keen I’d be willing to smash you in the testicles with a steel pipe for free, it’s a lot less horrible than operating a Silverado not to mention about $160k cheaper … and the lobotomy required to operate a jet ski isn’t painless itself.

havent seen them this low in a few years now
180k kms on a Commodore … mechanically it’s got a lot left in it, but aesthetically it’ll make you deaf with the rattles & the bits falling off is disheartening at best …