Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF & VE second hand rare & demanding high Prices.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
VH had the 4 speed.....Wasn't till 1972 they had them.....Wasn't enough made/sold before bathurst, which is why they couldn't race with them.

The famous 4 speed stripe on the guard.

And yes as the years pass, our memory fades, making it difficult to remember things like this... :)

View attachment 265271
Yes, the VH E49 6 pack had the 4-speed gearbox, but it wasn't until VK I recall the floor shift 3 speed was replaced with the 4-speed gearbox across the model range. I'm sure base model VJ Chargers still had the 3-speed floor shift gearbox.

I remember as a first-year apprentice, we had several E48 VJ 6 Pack's that had stock camshafts to retrofit the VH E49 camshaft. The foreman took me for a spin in one after the camshaft fitment and it was the fastest accelerating car I'd ever been for a ride in!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I read somewhere they did race with the four speed as the three speed wasn't great at Bathurst, not sure of that was referring to 904. Apparently it was when the four speed came into play that the Chargers started winning some races.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes, the VH E49 6 pack had the 4-speed gearbox, but it wasn't until VK I recall the floor shift 3 speed was replaced with the 4-speed gearbox across the model range. I'm sure base model VJ Chargers still had the 3-speed floor shift gearbox.

I remember as a first-year apprentice, we had several E48 VJ 6 Pack's that had stock camshafts to retrofit the VH E49 camshaft. The foreman took me for a spin in one after the camshaft fitment and it was the fastest accelerating car I'd ever been for a ride in!

The majority of 3 speed cars had them on the column.....That included Chargers......

Not 100% sure if they still had the 3 speeds fitted in the VK/CL range Chargers.....Something I'd have to go back through my books to check up on

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I read somewhere they did race with the four speed as the three speed wasn't great at Bathurst, not sure of that was referring to 904. Apparently it was when the four speed came into play that the Chargers started winning some races.

904 was the auto.

The main issue was, the 4 speed came online too late to be accepted in Bathurst round 1972.....There had to be a certain number of cars sold by a certain date to be eligible to enter with parts....ie in this instance the 4 speed....So they were stuck with the 3 speed

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The Charger my mate had was a 3 speed on floor.
This was about 1976 l think?

There were the floor shift ones....1976 was the VK.....Should have mentioned that...But there was also the column shift ones too :)

Reactions: Lex

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
The majority of 3 speed cars had them on the column.....That included Chargers......

I didn't know that, from the ones I saw, they were all on the floor.

But back in the day it was common to change a 3 speed column shift to the floor, at least with the Holdens, Speco Shifts were all the rage at one point and so cheap and easy to do.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

The old HQ 253 Holdens couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding but when mated with a pair of hotdogs and the 3 speed column manual, that long, long, long second gear held their note for an eternity, I used to love it.

I'd drive my old man's HQ when I was on my P's and loved letting the neighbours know.