Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF & VE second hand rare & demanding high Prices.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The old HQ 253 Holdens couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding but when mated with a pair of hotdogs and the 3 speed column manual, that long, long, long second gear held their note for an eternity, I used to love it.

I'd drive my old man's HQ when I was on my P's and loved letting the neighbours know.

Even the 308, mounted in front of a Trimatic were still a slouch. 202 Torana's with an auto will get off the line quicker.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Does anyone know why GM spelled traumatic as “trimatic”?

Which reminds me … I went for years thinking Benzes had an antiquated 4spd auto when even Falcodores had 6spds, ‘cos they had (and still have) 4MATIC badges on the back of the AWD cars …

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Does anyone know why GM spelled traumatic as “trimatic”?

Which reminds me … I went for years thinking Benzes had an antiquated 4spd auto when even Falcodores had 6spds, ‘cos they had (and still have) 4MATIC badges on the back of the AWD cars …

Even my 2020 C63 has 4matic, although it doesn't have a badge saying so like some models do.

When the salesman mentioned it to me during a test drive, I also thought he was talking about the transmission until he explained it was Mercedes AWD system.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
There were the floor shift ones....1976 was the VK.....Should have mentioned that...But there was also the column shift ones too :)
I can't recall too many column shift Chargers and I'd say more were 3 speed floor shift or the floor shift option was the most common in Chargers. I think by 1976 in VK, all floor shifts were 4 speeds.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I can't recall too many column shift Chargers and I'd say more were 3 speed floor shift or the floor shift option was the most common in Chargers. I think by 1976 in VK, all floor shifts were 4 speeds.

Is quite possible 4 speed was the only manual trans in the VK Charger....Something I'd have to dig into my books to confirm or deny....

And yes floor shifts in Chargers were the most common.....

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Is quite possible 4 speed was the only manual trans in the VK Charger....Something I'd have to dig into my books to confirm or deny....

And yes floor shifts in Chargers were the most common.....
I did a bit of research on it, as it's hard to remember exactly what was available 48 years ago.

The 3-speed floor shift ended in VJ and floor shift VK's were 4 speed, but it does show VK Chargers still available with 3 speed column shift. CL manual Chargers were all 4 speed.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I did a bit of research on it, as it's hard to remember exactly what was available 48 years ago.

The 3-speed floor shift ended in VJ and floor shift VK's were 4 speed, but it does show VK Chargers still available with 3 speed column shift. CL manual Chargers were all 4 speed.

Thanks for the update....I hadn't gotten round to it :)