Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF/WN TPMS Stupidity

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
Took my ride into the local OldHen dealer & Spanner-Twirler establishment today, and asked about TPMS sensors.
When the black donut boys last played, they managed to swap front wheels side-to-side so that the TPMS now tells me front right is low, its actually front left, kinda thing.
I asked the spanner twirlers clerk about getting the wheels reprogrammed so that the computer can get it right, so it knows which wheel is really where.
I understand it's a 5 minute job, no jacks or other tomfoolery, just pushin buttons and flashin lights n beeps goin on
Totally gabberflasted when the clerk said to book it in! For a 5 minute walkaround routine?
Well, stuff me drunk n call me Harry Butler (Or anythin' else except late fer lunch), cos with this pack o clowns, that means they got my ride all damned day, n maybe tomorra if they wuz too busy n missed it!
Anyone else had such silly nonsense and maybe know of a tricky workaround or cheep DIY tool?
My understanding is that the 'tool' just sends a low-power R/F bzzztt of a specific frequency to the sensor telling it to wake up a minute, the trigger tool has to be held close to the valve stem sensor cos the signal is THAT low powered

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I'd give you an answer but I'm afraid I'm just a spanner twirler and couldn't possibly have any useful technical information.

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
I'd give you an answer but I'm afraid I'm just a spanner twirler and couldn't possibly have any useful technical information.
Mehh, me bruvver's one too, told me that name, n he's cool, rides a Harley (Has 2) and resto's old hens
It was actually the clerk that cheesed me off

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
VE could be done without the TPMS tool by holding lock/unlock buttons and turning the ignition on and holding the buttons down for ten seconds. Horn should sound to indicate learn mode. Then pumping up/deflating tyres on the corner with the indicator illuminated. I haven't tried this on VF so not sure if it's possible but you can try.

Last edited:

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Just had a read, it seems you can initiate learn mode through the Driver Information Centre buttons but is unclear as to whether inflating/deflating tyres will learn the sensors or if the tpms tool is still needed.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Attached are some excerpts from the Holden VF Workshop Manual - TPMS general description and relearn procedure. I expect that the VE would be similar.

Attachments

• VF Tyre Pressure Monitor1.pdf
    442.5 KB · Views: 2,822
  • VF Tyre Pressure Monitor2.pdf
    371.1 KB · Views: 2,292

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
Well, it got worse.
After taking a week and a half to replace the fuel pump, and being asked to do the TPMS thing to the girly, I got it back (running) but No TPMS.
Service invoice said Suspect sensors were damaged when tyres were changed
Bullshit
all 4 sensors were giving a reading when the car went in, just not in the correct position.
Now none show a reading.
From the documents provided above (Thank you, BlackVXGTS):

TPMS-CXL.png

Note: 'If the relearn mode is cancelled before the first sensor is learned, the original sensor IDs will be maintained.'
and 'If the relearn mode is cancelled AFTER the first sensor is learned, the following will occur:'
This dealer has stated in the invoice report that 2 sensors were not responding to scan tool. Suspect sensors were damaged when...' and needs 2 new ones at $371 bux a pop.
But, based on the above, and that all 4 sensors were working on admission to sick bay, What's the bet someone in sick bay hasn't a foxtrot clue what the hell they were doing
Scan tool? Why not trigger tool? (EL-50448, Sixty bux on e-Bay)?

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
Here it is, Boys and Girls, the tool to do the job
EL50448.png

Usage is simple: With the car in Relearn Mode, Hold the stubby antenna to the tyre cheek above the valve stem on the L/H/F wheel. Push the big white button. It beeps, the horn chirps, next wheel. If no beep/chirp, try again, you get 3 tries, if necessary, rotate the wheel to bring the valve nearer the top

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
TPMS 'caps'?
The sensor is actually attached to the inside end of the valve stem. When installed, the wheel looks like it has a regular rubber tubeless valve stem, the metal ones were used in VE/WM cars

Regardless, when I got my sensor trigger tool, I had full working TPMS, 4 wheels, both cars done and it took me all of 5 minutes to do the 2 cars.

To enter learning mode: Press and hold the Start Button (Without placing your foot on the brake pedal) for around 5 to 8 seconds, the car will enter into an 'ignition on' mode
Use the normal means on the indicator stalk to bring up the actual TPMS display, with the car graphic and 4 wheel pressure figures.
Press and hold the button on the end of the stalk a few seconds, the car will ask to you want to relearn the tyre pressures, rotate the knurled knob to highlight YES and then the button again
The horn beeps, the left front indicator turns on, and it's time to do the trigger tool thing. When the system has registered a reading for the L/H/F wheel, the horn will beep to signify success, continue to the next wheel.
Do all 4 wheels L/H/F, R/H/F, R/H/R, L/H/R.
When L/H/R is done, the horn beeps, then a few moments later, beeps twice to indicate all is done, you're finished, the car exits learning mode automatically