Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf2 R8 Pro extreme exhaust. How to quite it down just a tad

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
Ok, all sorted now. Been a little while. Had some drone come back around 1900rpm once everything settled in and my ears readjusted. Resorted to j-pipes to cancel the left over drone.

Can have a convo with the Mrs and the kids but still have the V8 note gently purring in the background. And when it's me and the lads with the bimodals open it's loud and angry like it wants to tear your face off.

As mentioned, replaced centre resonators with generic straight through muffler, and installed 715mm length 2.5inch diameter j-pipes before the rear mufflers.

J pipe pics attached if anyone wants to build a set.
20200501_123739.jpg
20200501_130656.jpg
20200523_165101.jpg

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Ok, all sorted now. Been a little while. Had some drone come back around 1900rpm once everything settled in and my ears readjusted. Resorted to j-pipes to cancel the left over drone.

Can have a convo with the Mrs and the kids but still have the V8 note gently purring in the background. And when it's me and the lads with the bimodals open it's loud and angry like it wants to tear your face off.

As mentioned, replaced centre resonators with generic straight through muffler, and installed 715mm length 2.5inch diameter j-pipes before the rear mufflers.

J pipe pics attached if anyone wants to build a set.
View attachment 211265 View attachment 211266 View attachment 211267

I'm struggling to understand those images. So does these create two extra open ends, that exit prior to the rear mufflers?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I'm struggling to understand those images. So does these create two extra open ends, that exit prior to the rear mufflers?

They act like helmholtz resonators.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I have found the Hush Power mufflers from Flow Master to work great. They're like a resonator but cut way more drone out at all rpm ranges. Those J pipes use sound reflection just like the Hush Powers except the Hush Powers use a cone for the reflector.

danny gtsvf2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF GTS SERIES 2
Hi mate, I have the same exhaust with the same problem glad I came across your thread I've been thinking about J pipes but I like your idea with the muffler did you notice a big difference on idle a lot quieter or similer?cheers Dan

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
Ended up keeping everything as is. J pipes fixed everything drone wise when cruising. Then used HP Tuners to keep the bi modals shut at idle in sport and perf mode. That's about as good as I can get that system. Its pretty good and can recommend it if you wanted to go down that road.

But..... I'm right in the middle as we speak of changing out the centre section for the Manta system.

danny gtsvf2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF GTS SERIES 2
Ended up keeping everything as is. J pipes fixed everything drone wise when cruising. Then used HP Tuners to keep the bi modals shut at idle in sport and perf mode. That's about as good as I can get that system. Its pretty good and can recommend it if you wanted to go down that road.

But..... I'm right in the middle as we speak of changing out the centre section for the Manta system.
Awesome let me know how it sounds.