Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 SS Walkinshaw W547 issue, any ideas?

JakeTheMaddog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline - Walkinshaw W547
Hey all,

I am a complete noob with this stuff, but looking for some help for all you mechanically savvy people out there!

I have a VF2 SS with a Walkinshaw W547 package on it. When i first purchased it second hand about 4-5 years ago, it was absolutely crazy. But upon timing a 0-100 recently, as I have felt for a long time something wasn't right, I've noticed its now SLOWER than a stock VF2 SS. Its taking about 6 seconds to get to 100. The only things i can think to note are, the gears can be clunky when changing, and it feels like its going to stall when you brake too hard. Problems become even worse when it's cold, I've nearly been hit at a roundabout as I went with plenty of room, but it didn't accelerate out of the roundabout and just spluttered.

With these interest rates the way they are at the moment i really have no financial capacity to fix anything major and I am so worried that its something big. Under normal driving everything seems to work perfectly except for it feeling off while its cold. 99% of my driving is just too and from work. Its only the off time here and there I ever give it a boot-ful and that's why its taken me so long to realize something wasn't right. I'm from a remote area and the closest Walkinshaw dealer is about 300km away so I am feeling very lost as I don't have the time nor money to fix it if its something big. *cries*

I really only know the basics with cars, so it could be irrelevant, but you can still hear the supercharger whine if that helps at all. I read that some of those signs can show with old transmission fluid and/or faulty spark plugs, so It has just has a major service where both were changed. I've also just had to put new brakes and rotors on the fronts hence why I am extra poor and therefore panicky at the moment. I don't know how or why as I didn't think it was relevant, but I did notice that the car changed gears smoother when the brakes where freshly installed and for a good week or so after. It has however gone back to its old ways.

I mentioned these issues to the Holden authorized servicer, and they didnt have a clue and wouldnt touch it as it has Walkinshaw stuff on it. They said they scanned for codes but nothing came up because Walkinshaw apparently have codes of their own and their scanner wont pick them up.

Shes a beautiful car and to be completely honest with you is the only thing that keeps me going on some hard days so as you might understand this is playing on my mind alot.

Any genuine help and not criticism would be so greatly appreciated, I am at a loss on what to do :(

Thanks all :)

Ccoastcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 redline, Ve ssv
If it’s spluttering it’s likely to be a fuel supply issue.
Once you get some coin saved up I’d have the fuel line tested for pressure & flow.
I recommend not giving it too much of a hard time while driving. If its running lean the pistons can be damaged.

JakeTheMaddog

Reaction score
Members Ride
If it’s spluttering it’s likely to be a fuel supply issue.
Once you get some coin saved up I’d have the fuel line tested for pressure & flow.
I recommend not giving it too much of a hard time while driving. If its running lean the pistons can be damaged.
Oh dear… could the tune Walkinshaw did with the kit somehow reset so it’s running a stock tune with all the upgrades?

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
Oh dear… could the tune Walkinshaw did with the kit somehow reset so it’s running a stock tune with all the upgrades?
No, that can't happen unless you've asked a dealer to reflash the stock tune file back into it.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
It has happened before where a dealer has refreshed a ECU with "updates"

If that isn't the issue: as stated, fuel supply, dirty injectors, plugs, and all of the usual suspects

As for the transmission: when was the last gear oil change?

JakeTheMaddog

Reaction score
Members Ride
It has happened before where a dealer has refreshed a ECU with "updates"

If that isn't the issue: as stated, fuel supply, dirty injectors, plugs, and all of the usual suspects

As for the transmission: when was the last gear oil change?
I’ve always followed the service book so just whenever the last service that had it on it was done. It had a major service where they changed the spark plugs and transmission fluid only about 1000kms ago, if that helps!

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I’ve always followed the service book so just whenever the last service that had it on it was done. It had a major service where they changed the spark plugs and transmission fluid only about 1000kms ago, if that helps!
Auto or Manual?