Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 SSV Redline - 2650 SC

Walmsley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Previously owned VE S2 SSV & HSV Clubsport LSA.
Hi all,

Got myself a new toy. Practically as new with 30k kms. Manual.

Plan is to have a 2650 supercharger installed with all supporting bits and pieces. Stock bottom end will remain.

Curious as to how these ‘manage to put their power down with 550-650rwhp? At what sort of point do they just become tyre frying monsters that can’t really put it down? I’d like to keep it just under this point, ideally.

I’ve previously owned a HSV Clubsport LSA which put the power down beautifully but was stock, granted.

The car won’t be flogged, raced or abused nor have an aggressive cam etc.

Cheers!

Last edited:

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Well, I can tell you that my little 1900 Magnuson L77 that only makes around 500hp at the tyres has trouble on a 275 Michelin PS4S (it is a 20” though). They just don’t like all that instant torque. Can’t see it being any better with a 2650 shoving plenty down its throat! Be fun though.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I'll tag @Ginger Beer for him to explain the aftermarket traction control system he had fitted.

Reactions: Lex

Walmsley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well, I can tell you that my little 1900 Magnuson L77 that only makes around 500hp at the tyres has trouble on a 275 Michelin PS4S (it is a 20” though). They just don’t like all that instant torque. Can’t see it being any better with a 2650 shoving plenty down its throat! Be fun though.
Haha ok, good to know!

I did consider an LSA 1900 as suspected would be plenty based on my experience with the GENF2 Clubsport. Advise has been get the 2650 as it’s not working as hard etc..

The goal is something responsive and proper quick. Sounds like 500 is plenty!

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if u only want 500 then the 2300 is fine, i was making in the 700+ with 2300 on ethanol only spinning it at max efficiency, unless there is not much cost difference then go the 2650 but would be a shame to not use its potential :D also factor in fuel system dont count on just bigger injectors running your fuel pressure lower just to get away with no doing better pump setup

Walmsley

Reaction score
Members Ride
if u only want 500 then the 2300 is fine, i was making in the 700+ with 2300 on ethanol only spinning it at max efficiency, unless there is not much cost difference then go the 2650 but would be a shame to not use its potential :D also factor in fuel system dont count on just bigger injectors running your fuel pressure lower just to get away with no doing better pump setup
I’m fairly confident there isn’t a great deal difference in cost between the 2300 and 2650. My issue is ascertaining the power goal. I loved the LSA Clubsport, and always intended to take it a bit further. Never got around to it, this time I will…

How was it with 700+?

The car will be handed to a reputable performance shop in Sydney, and they’re aware to do whatever is needed, and thoroughly. To retain general reliability and not cut corners etc. I don’t typically “thrash” a car anyway, it’s just for a bit of fun. Under no illusions with the stock bottom end, either.

Last edited:

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I’m fairly confident there isn’t a great deal difference in cost between the 2300 and 2650. My issue is ascertaining the power goal. I loved the LSA Clubsport, and always intended to take it a bit further. Never got around to it, this time I will…

How was it with 700+?

The car will be handed to a reputable performance shop in Sydney, and they’re aware to do whatever is needed, and thoroughly. To retain general reliability and not cut corners etc. I don’t typically “thrash” a car anyway, it’s just for a bit of fun. Under no illusions with the stock bottom end, either.
they are very different the LSA 1900 at say 10psi is different to a 2650 at 10psi just because of the air volume it can move u make more power, with all honestly im not sure if the 2650 will go down to 500 in stock trim without maby going a different pulley setup, my first step was stock with boltons to blower and camshaft which went to bout 580hp and that was crazy at the start till i got use to it and also the torque is crazy, but the good thing is u can always turn them up, 700 is fun in a manual if u want to go WOT u have to wait till 4th or 5th gear unless u like black lines following u everywhere

Walmsley

Reaction score
Members Ride
they are very different the LSA 1900 at say 10psi is different to a 2650 at 10psi just because of the air volume it can move u make more power, with all honestly im not sure if the 2650 will go down to 500 in stock trim without maby going a different pulley setup, my first step was stock with boltons to blower and camshaft which went to bout 580hp and that was crazy at the start till i got use to it and also the torque is crazy, but the good thing is u can always turn them up, 700 is fun in a manual if u want to go WOT u have to wait till 4th or 5th gear unless u like black lines following u everywhere
Helpful, and appreciate the insight.

Sounds to be a goal of 550-600 will be ideal then, leaving scope to go further. Probably unlikely though lol

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I'll tag for him to explain the aftermarket traction control system he had fitted.
Copy pasta from another thread

As for the RaceTCS, it is in my mind the best budget aftermarket traction control for anything with the stock ECU and a cable throttle, no need to pull timing in areas of the map, which is a double edged sword, if you have traction it gives all of the powers, it only cuts if it goes beyond a set % of wheel spin, and it cuts on and off millisecond fast, the best bit was the log support and updates for tuning all the settings in the configurator, it is top notch, plus the updates come in fast, like typically the same day, and "FREE" to boot, they even look at things like drivetrain inertia when it shifts (I never even thought about how drivetrain inertia effects traction during a shift until they told me about it), my final updated configurator, after sending about 12 logs over 6 days, and getting 6 updates, gave me a 3.96 second 0-100 on my Hankook 255/40 17 street tyres on a dry section of black top, that really speaks for itself as there was no way in hell I could get anywhere close to that 0-100 without it, I still haven't tried my Mickey T 275/40 17 drag radials on that section of black top, let alone at WSID on a "prepped" track, but I do expect good results, hell, I'm more than happy with the 0-100 kph now, but as you can see from the log, the RaceTCS is working hard cutting in 1st on the street tyres, the drag radials can only help with traction, thus less cuts and more available powers

The green line is where the traction control is working, the red is RPM, the blue is KPH

16908805229067198022876985454911.thumb.jpg.4c83371ad894c0bc8cf213462eb01b6f-1.jpg

An added bonus now IRT taking the drivetrain inertia into account, is because the drivetrain isn't spinning as hard due to wheel spin at the 1-2 shift, the car how hooks 100% in 2nd on a dry road, before, it would spin through the 1-2 shift, now it just hooks, winner winner chicken dInner

That 3.96 0-100 was from going WOT from stationary, no pedaling, I just mashed the pedal to the floor and held on

I mentioned best for a cable throttle, but it work just as well with a electric throttle body

The only other option is to buy a aftermarket ECU and all that that intakes

I did look at the Haltech 2500T, but for what I needed, the RaceTCS was a fraction of the cost

As for the HTV2300

More cut and past

The initial cost for the HTV2300 installed and tuned was around $15k, then I worked out you really need a interchiller as the WTA alone didn't keep AIT in check, that cost a few grand to purchase, install and retune ( a interchiller is a must with a PD IMO), then for best efficiency of a interchiller I needed thermal spacers, about another $1k, then retune, then, with thermal spacers the PD didn't fit under the bonnet, the only correct way to get it to fit was to clearance the bonnet (I initially tried spacing out the K-frame to lower the engine but that caused issues with the front tail shaft alignment, caused some vibration, and flogged out the front coupler and center bearing, about $1k to get the tailshaft fully rebuilt with new couplers and center bearing and a rebalance), so chop chop on the bonnet was required and the need to fit a Group A bonnet bulge and repaint which cost about $1k

Then, because after removing the spacers on the K-frame for it to fit under the bonnet (it actually hit the bonnet liner at WOT, as the Harrop HTV2300 was designed to "just" fit under the bonnet without thermal spacers, it raised the blower up about 20mm due to the spacers, now the bulge gave me ample clearance from the bonnet

BUT, yeah, there's always a but, now the rear top pulley on the back of the blower was 20mm higher, it did have enough clearance with the K-frame spacers (which needed to be removed as stated above with the tail shaft issue), but then when the engine torqued up at WOT, even with the Mace Unbreakable engine mounts, the rear pulley allen head bolts "just" hit a lip on the firewall (by just I mean about it "didn't miss hitting by 2mm), so off came the blower, and with a little bit of "clearancing" with a hammer and a rattle can rebuild, and swapping out the socket cap bolts for shorter button head, all was well in the world and I had clearance everywhere, finally..........:rolleyes:

So all in about $20k and "alot" of issues needing fixing for me to be 100% happy

Don't get me wrong, the car goes great "now", but a well sized and responsive turbo, or 2, with all the quality thermal protection and supporting mods it would require, could have given me typical power to what the PD gave, but without the clearance or IAT issues I ended up with, for quite a bit of saved dollars

Yes, if your doing all the work and tuning yourself it would have cost me a fair bit less, but in saying that, if going turbo there wouldn't have been the clearance, IAT, or as many issues with traction (setting boost control is simple with a good electronic boost controller and a well place "scramble" button)-( the PD with the biggest and lowest PSI pulley that fits, 85mm, gives 900nm at 2500rpm, which was a issues when trying to launch, or even on a 60kph roll, good for skids, crap to dangerous for everything else), hence the requirement for the RaceTCS)

Food for thought for anyone thinking of going PD

But, I believe thermal spacers and a HTV2300 fits under the bonnet of a VF

Tag your it @VF Sleeper

He is the man you need to talk to, he has a PD on a VF SS

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
^^^

Sounds like twin turbskies might be worth a quote too :)