Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 SSV2 Towbar Questions

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I don't really know but I saw this for the 1200 on the accessories page so asked that it be included and it was (or at least looks similar). Sort of a flexible moulding they wrapped all the way round in one piece. Certainly more tidy than Offence 74s
View attachment 190607
Thanks for that, I'm going to ask for the same when I get mine done. Yeah poor offence 74's isn't a great job at all. At least he can fit the moulding to cover the cut out but i'd be far more pissed as to how far it sits out. It defeats the purpose of having the removable hitch, it may as well just be a standard tongue. I can help but think it has to be the wrong model bar..

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
Maybe it's the same tow bar for both sedans and wagons and do you know the wagon is actually shorter overall length?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
This is mine (sedan). I had the same one fitted on my sportwagon. I think it was similar in terms of how far it protruded. I certainly don't recall it being like yours offence74.
Maybe there are two different mounting postions / two sets of holes? No harm in asking if they can move it back?

received_1100441750102180.jpeg

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Maybe it's the same tow bar for both sedans and wagons and do you know the wagon is actually shorter overall length?

with all due respect SSBB, how does the difference in vehicle length affect how far the towbar protrudes?

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
with all due respect SSBB, how does the difference in vehicle length affect how far the towbar protrudes?
IF it's the same towbar for wagon and sedan, my theory is because the attachment points are the same in relation to the rear sub frame, and it's the sheet metal & rear bar which is different.
I.e the wheelbase is the same on sedan and wagon, but the wagon is shorter by approx 30mm which shows on the amount protruding on the towbar hitch receiver.

LastV8?

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VF2 Redline
IF it's the same towbar for wagon and sedan, my theory is because the attachment points are the same in relation to the rear sub frame, and it's the sheet metal & rear bar which is different.
I.e the wheelbase is the same on sedan and wagon, but the wagon is shorter by approx 30mm which shows on the amount protruding on the towbar hitch receiver.
I'm thinking that sounds fair too - doubt they would make different towbars

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
read the fine print on the tow bar warranty and the words for towing purposes only .........
The use of bike racks is not covered or warranted by Hayman Reese and any damage to chassis or floor pan may not be covered by insurance either ...

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
read the fine print on the tow bar warranty and the words for towing purposes only .........
The use of bike racks is not covered or warranted by Hayman Reese and any damage to chassis or floor pan may not be covered by insurance either ...
I have fitted myself a 1200Kg and a 1600/2100Kg towbar to a VE sedan. The 1600/2100 Kg bars reach further into the chassis rails and also have a 3rd bolt (on each side). Hard to see you would have a problem with a bike rack, but I guess on the principals of leverage the concern would be a loaded up bike rack could possibly buckle the chassis rails, especially so with the 1200 bars shorter reach into the chassis rails.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS

If you look on ebay, the aftermarket bars, there are separate listings for sedan and wagon bars. It seems there is a difference. I guess you'd have to look at the two bars side by side to pick the difference.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you look on ebay, the aftermarket bars, there are separate listings for sedan and wagon bars. It seems there is a difference. I guess you'd have to look at the two bars side by side to pick the difference.

I'm going to bet that the wagon bars have a shorter hitch receiver section.