Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFII LS3 engine oil from factory?

daz_au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII
There’s more to it than I thought.

I looked up Dexos and first thing I found was this:

AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - GM dexos oil, New Standard or Shakedown?

There is also a lot more written about this attempt at making money and the suitability of other oils.

In my mind I am 100% sure its all about making money. I can imagine a boardroom full of pastry eating execs from GM and Mobil laughing about threatening car owners with voided warranties and exploding drivetrains if they don't buy expensive Dexos labelled lubricants. Every industry is looking for as many things that give them a renewable revenue stream as possible, they don't sit in their tall buildings thinking of ways to leave money in the pockets of customers !

Sometimes I can't decide if its devious or justified. We are all out there trying to minimize how much they make out of every car, so in response they are looking for ways to grapple some of that back post sale....

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Dexos is a standard not unique to GM or one brand of oil. I use this ENVIRO+ GF-5 5W-30 (Full Synthetic)

Dexos approved right grade, E85 suitable and HSV approved. I was on Mobil 1 but this stuff is Aussie made and cheaper.

This it the warranty approved oil. Holden use it when their order of Mobil runs out depending on dealer.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Dexos is a standard not unique to GM or one brand of oil. I use this ENVIRO+ GF-5 5W-30 (Full Synthetic)

Dexos approved right grade, E85 suitable and HSV approved. I was on Mobil 1 but this stuff is Aussie made and cheaper.

I use genuine Aussie made Penrite.

As long as I’m using the right or close to the right viscosity and temperature rating and my engine failed I’d like to see Holden prove not using Dexos approved oil caused it.

One of the reasons I happily mod cars from the day I get them is I understand a manufacturer’s warranty is not worth the paper it’s written on.

All warranties in Australia are overruled by the ACCC’s consumer rights legislation.

Plus Holden wouldn’t take you on in court as they would lose and the repercussions would impact on their future ability to ever advertise and licence any approved oils.

They’d quietly repair the damage under warranty.

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
In my opinion GM's Dexos 1 recommendation and holden's recommendation of 5w30 is more about ensuring emission levels and a fuel economy target than actually being a set of parameters focusing purely on engine protection and wear resistance. That's why I use Penrite racing 10/40.

daz_au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII
All warranties in Australia are overruled by the ACCC’s consumer rights legislation.

Is that true outside of the 12/20 statutory period ?

While I agree it would be hard for them to prove, the Holden voluntary warranty paperwork has a misuse section which clearly states "use of incorrect types and grades of fuel, oil or lubricants," and "alteration or modifications of the vehicle by anyone not authorised by Holden" as examples of such.

I think they treat voluntary warranties a lot like insurance policies... there is a pool of money allocated to patch up problems and there is always the ability to refuse claim based on something in the fine print. Unfortunately if they are given any reason to push back on a warranty claim, even if you are protected by the law, they can make it a long drawn out process that will involve all kinds of time wasting (ask Jeep owners).

I would look at ignoring the dexos requirement a bit like modifying the car beyond what your comprehensive insurance policy allows. If you make a claim it might slide through just fine, but it might not.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Is that true outside of the 12/20 statutory period ?

While I agree it would be hard for them to prove, the Holden voluntary warranty paperwork has a misuse section which clearly states "use of incorrect types and grades of fuel, oil or lubricants," and "alteration or modifications of the vehicle by anyone not authorised by Holden" as examples of such.

If you are talking about aftermarket or extended warranties that are never offered by the manufacturer but are in fact a third party insurance warranty on sold by the retailer than yes, if you sign that you accept their terms of use.

If it’s the normal manufacturer’s warranty for all products sold in Australia then the product is sold to you under the ACCC Consumer Rights Legislation which overrules anything stated in the manufacturer’s warranty.

Those aftermarket warranties are a similar rort to paint protection packages as they often have many exclusions and conditions that must be met.

A product out of warranty can still be warranted under consumer law as the product must be expected to perform to the consumer’s reasonable expectation.

Too many Australian consumers don’t understand their rights and end up intimidate by companies.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V & VU S1
Seems retailers here in Melbourne have stopped stocking Mobil1.
On the weekend I visited Supercheap, Auto1 and Bursons... Nothing. Pretty sure I got my last 10L from Supercheap. I'll try Autobarn and Repco this arvo.
I was thinking of trying out Penrite this time around, thing is I still have a bit of Mobil leftover from the last change I'd like to use. My plan was got get a 5L + 1L..... I'm sure they haven't stopped making it

VinnieLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Commodore SSV Redline
Sorry to dig up an old thread...

Just want to know if we can use dexos 2 spec oils in a VF2? I know dexos 1 is ok but not sure on dexos 2?