Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFII Redline vs Gen-F2 Clubsport R8 - the verdict...

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
The HSV,s look great, particularly the rear ends.
Seats are better too.

The extra gauges are a bit meh....

I would like one, but it's hard to see the where the extra $30k in value is over an SSVR.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Good read. The C63 sounds like an absolute weapon. Think you can argue all day what's the best bang for your buck and if that was the case I'd nearly have to argue that the SSV is better value than the SSVR but that's 'cos I'm a tad biased. At the end of the day if you can afford to spend more dollars on a particular vehicle over another because that's the vehicle you like then that's what you should do cos that is what will make you happy.

Must say though I'm not that keen on the seats in mine and the HSV seats look to be the go and that will be going on my wish list along with some bigger brakes, short throw shocks and the S/C.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Torque vectoring to go with, bigger brakes, I don't think the R8 has forged wheels either.

EDI has also been deleted from VF2 R8.

Smash is on the money.

Brakes, wheels, torque vectoring, EDI (is Clubbie option). Track mode in the driver select package (lowers the car), and better aero package to keep all the coolers cool.

Also, the heated seats are gold for my lower back - literally melts the stiffness away.

Last edited:

MALUR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice & VE2 Omega
If money was no issue, I'm sure most would go with HSV. I've owned HSV's and think that they are definitely 'special' but having said that, as I get older (33...) the over the top look of a HSV is harder to live with at work etc in my opinion. Both awesome cars and I'd be happy to upgrade my VE Calais V to either.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
I have always been a owner of a Calais, could never justify the additional coast for a senator.

If the director came to market when I was buying my Calais v, that would have been a very Likley purchase, but that was rumoured to be 65-70k, being a 10 plus increase on the Calais v. The 30 extra for the senator could never be justified in my world.

I am about to do headers, cats, exhaust, OTR and tune and for $53k purchase with $4-5k total mods including lowering will have spent 57-58k on a luxury cruiser with 340ish kW at fly wheel. That will do me as I get older.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
If money was no issue, I'm sure most would go with HSV. I've owned HSV's and think that they are definitely 'special' but having said that, as I get older (33...) the over the top look of a HSV is harder to live with at work etc in my opinion. Both awesome cars and I'd be happy to upgrade my VE Calais V to either.
Dunno about 'over the top' with Gen-F and Gen-F2; they must've had complaints about Gen-E being too try-hard 'cos it takes a bit of an anorak-wearer to spot a Gen-F (apart from the wheels).

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Dunno about 'over the top' with Gen-F and Gen-F2; they must've had complaints about Gen-E being too try-hard 'cos it takes a bit of an anorak-wearer to spot a Gen-F (apart from the wheels).

I agree that HSV have reined in the styling department since the 'shockwave' body kits if the E2-E3 era. The cars are less obscene to the casual car enthusiast, whether that's a good thing or not is in the eye of the buyer. Personally, I really like the shockwave kit on the wagon and ute bodies whereas the sedans in E1 guise are the best of the bunch (Gen F included). I just couldn't live with the E series interior after having the VF.

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
Ditching EDI as standard kit was a huge backwards step for HSV from the first VF's. Problem they have is trying to find anything to differentiate supercharged Clubsport to GTS. I think they ditched the EDI as standard to try and help justify the price jump in their own range. The Redline factor adds another level of complexity for HSV they have never had to deal with before. Basically killed the market for their 340kw cars.

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
I think the SSVR is the best model holden has brought out. These cars walk out the door. Really fills the gap, for those that want the bigger brakes, better lower suspension and forged wheels, but dont want to spend the extra on HSV. I enjoy mine every-time I drive it.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo GXP
Price wise the Redline beats the GTS. But cheaper price doesn't come in to it in regards to being a better drivers car in my opinion. Its a big price difference but when the GTS delivers better performance thats what matters in this regard.

If I had the money I’d buy a C63 in a heartbeat.
It’s silly to think the Holden could beat it in any area apart from price.
You only have to read the C63 reviews from other Australian media and around the world to understand that and to look at one like we did recently makes the Commodore look cheap in comparison.

About the C63

About the Redline

There are many people here who mod their Commodores to stiffen them up and make them more like a sledgehammer with power and anyone who really believes a stock 304kW LS3 is powerful is well behind the times.
Possibly the C63 is too much car for them and the reviewer admits at the end of the article the rattles and squeaks came from a test vehicle that had led a particularly hard life.

Yeah seems like the C63 was really hard done by here. Hard to imagine there's many genuine car enthusiasts (not just Holden fans) who would take a Holden over a C63. They score really, really well in all other reviews. And considering that most people who buy a Redline or GTS for performances sake will mod it and make it stiffer it seems like a silly complaint. All AMGs have overly stiff suspension in their pursuit of performance rather than being a family taxi with a big motor.