Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF's twin fuel tanks. How does it Operate

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Well I finally gave the VF SV6 an successful oil change and I agree its easy as pie in changing the above fitted oil filter (yes I know its torqued at 25Nm) and now its time to learn a little more about the car being the twin Fuel tanks on the VF.
Can someone please answer for me and I bet plenty of others would also like to know this on how do these twin tank system work?
1/ Does the VF only have one fuel Pump?
2/ Does it have a balance tube between tanks as Ive had a restricted (car not jacked high enough) quick look and cant see anything.
3/ In general how does the system work especially if the VF only has one fuel pump shared between two tanks?

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
I have the restart of the fuel smell in the cabin after I fill the tank.

Went into the dealer's spare parts guys and asked for a look at the tank diagrams.

Roughly speaking there in an internal transfer tube over the "transmission" hump inside the fuel tank between the primary (driver side) and the secondary tank (passenger).

When the fuel pump is working it sucks from the primary tank and by physics suction rules and a T piece, (some Burleinni effect, I think), it sucks from the secondary.

Thus both halves reduce in level. I reckon that if the transfer pipe is faulty then fill capacity is reduced and maybe the fuel in the secondary goes stale.

If you appear to run out of fuel, if you put less fuel into the tank and get the bowser clicking off, there is a chance that the transfer pipe is faulty.
I don't know if the fuel pump can pump fuel and air simultaneously. So, effectively the tank capacity will become what is available above the failure point on the transfer pipe if the pump cannot lift fuel and air..

Also to drop the tank, the diff comes out as I see it. OK under warranty repairs, but not good for after warranty faults.

Hope it never happens............

Last edited:

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Huh? Vf has only one fuel tank...

The top of the tank appears to be common, but the tank then divides in two to fit over and around the transmission hump, hence the internal transfer pipe between the two lowest parts of the tank.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Huh? Vf has only one fuel tank...

I can see two black things (I hope this is not a section18C thingy.) that resemble two tanks. One under the rear drivers side and the other on the rear passengers side. So are these tanks actually two separate tanks or one tank that looks like its two only because the tailshaft is in the middle.
Geee I would love to have one of these cars 2M off the ground so I could fully inspect one.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ Yeah when you first mentioned that there were two tanks I was all "WTF", but Googled for images ... and yeah, there is actually only one big piece of plastic, but it effectively forms two separate tanks, looks like it kinda drapes over something (tailshaft? diff?) like ... I dunno, imagine saddlebags with the straps in between,,and all made of a single piece of leather.

So while it's a single piece of plastic, it forms two separate reservoirs.
Seems like a neat way of (a) having the tank as low as possible and (b) meeting US tank-location laws.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ imagine saddlebags with the straps in between,

The only thing missing is the Horse.

Yep I remember when the Monaro went to the US as a GTO they had to re design the fuel tank to be behind the seat thus by doing this it was cheaper for them to have the same out here like what the VZ Monro was.

Back to the Twin fuel tanks, If i'm correct the Pump is located on the drivers side tank, could be wrong.
In the service manual these is a folder that shows and tells you the location of everything on the VF but the trouble is I need a Folder to show me the Location of that Location, LOL. I will re find it one day and have a good read if I can remember where everything is.

question!!
For those who have a Vf V6, what's that thingy in front of the Engine on the drivers side (Between the radiator and Engine standing all by itself) ??? It looks like a fuel pump, it even has pipes heading to the top of the engine.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
question!!
For those who have a Vf V6, what's that thingy in front of the Engine on the drivers side (Between the radiator and Engine standing all by itself) ??? It looks like a fuel pump, it even has pipes heading to the top of the engine.

I asked the dealer's mechanic what it was also.

He explained it was some sort of air/maybe vacuum pump that did special things on a trailing throttle - I think.

It addressed emissions and something to do with the air/fuel supply/injectors.