Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH LS1 Conversions

kwakaman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina / VZ Calais / GSX750F
I've been thinking of an LS1 for my VK, seen a few on SC site. People tell me there's a conversion kit available with headers too? Maybe they're blowing wind up my butt?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E..VF2 redline W375.. 200 series landcruiser
user OFF T4P has put a LS1 + a big ol' turbo in a vl might wanna give him a call.

10k for a full kit is a really good price . but take note that you wont be able to run a air con and you need to change your starter motor to the other side.

xmick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH LS1
I've been thinking of an LS1 for my VK, seen a few on SC site. People tell me there's a conversion kit available with headers too? Maybe they're blowing wind up my butt?

i used the v6 conversions kit, that included headers, BCM wiring . No need to move the starter. Still like any conversion things need to be "massaged" to fit.

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
Kwaka- lonsdale auto do drive in drive out ls1 swaps now;)

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
383 HSV GTO coupe & vk ls1 turbo
I have a vk with a ls1 turbo set up. Here's what I used. Vk 308 k frame manual steering rack ( if
You want powersteering use a vl-vs v8 k frame with powersteering to suit) . Tuff mounts are the go. I m not using a starter conversion because I am Running a turbo setup and mini starter so no pipes running down that side. A bloke off eBay done me a stand along harness for $500 and it's
One of the best harness jobs I have seen, top work. With you radiator use a vl rb30 one as both the inlets are on the drivers side where you need them. I was talking to a dude from pacemaker and he said they where doing a set of paceys for ls1- vb-vk that was a while ago so they should be done by now. I think your best bet is to make your own kit of all the good bits and pieces from different places.

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
IMO I would get custom headers made up probably be upto 500 more then off the shelf ones but they will be way less painful there is bugger all room there.

witzl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not a holden
i used the v6 conversions kit, that included headers, BCM wiring . No need to move the starter. Still like any conversion things need to be "massaged" to fit.

Out of interest, how much was the kit from V6 Conversions?
Any rough figures on how much the conversion set you back? I've done lots of searches, but just keep getting people arbitrarily repeating "it'll cost $10,000" since 2008 - i find it hard to believe that the cost would be the same now as it was nearly 4 years ago!

Reason I ask is, my mate (non internet user), is thinking of building up a VK street car.... and I got to talking about using an LS1, so he's keen on that idea now.
He needs to work out costs to see if it would be better to go straight to an LS1, or try to squeeze blood from the stone that is the original VK V8 engine (not sure which engine that is sorry... im not big into comodores)

Cheers.
Karl.

NINJA EDIT - also, where's the best place to buy 2nd hand LS1 engine packages? What do they go for these days? Ive only seen the odd listing on ebay, and prices seem to vary wildly.

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I reckon you could get away with a full conversion for under $8000 if you do the work you self. Should be able to **** it in for 8 g. Ls1's are cheap as **** I just sold one with 130 thousand on it for $1300. Look on eBay mate.

witzl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not a holden
no idea on the gearbox.... dont they come with a T56 6sp or something originally?
Myself, i'd go manual... but no idea what my mate would chose!

I've read that the LS1 auto needs either some gearbox tunnel bashing, or some removal of ribbing material on the box...... i think its the 4L60E box??

Which is the cheaper option?
I'd think the manual, cos then there's less farking around with the computer for the auto box.
Also, manuals do more skids :p

... actaully, what am i saying. It's an LS1, it'll do skids with any gearbox.

EDIT: foudn the auto box model.

MORE EDIT: yes we would do all the work ourselves, short of fabricating headers. Im gun with wiring also, so i can do all that too.

... just how close does the starter get in the factory position? Is it REALLY necessary to switch the starter to the other side of the motor as in the CRS etc conversion kits?