Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vh sl/e - 1983

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Hi All.

I have been working on the car, albeit a little slower than I would like. But none the less, progress is being made.

I started work on the rear end about a month ago. I ripped out the original VH diff rear end, drive line (and will be selling it shortly) and removed the trailing arms.

The original VH rear discs brake setup and the VLT setup looked like they had seen better days so I went about looking at getting a set reconditioned. I was quoted $190 to have them done but ended up buying a reconditioned set of VLT Callipers for $205 instead. While I was at it, I also purchased some new rear rotors. To complement the slotted front rotors, I ended up getting a slotted set.

I’ve given the lower trailing arms a good scrub down and prepped them for painting (hopefully next week). Once that's done I’ll drop by a suspension place and get them to install a set of nolathane bushes. The aftermarket rear upper arms and adjustable pan hard rod already came with Polyurethane bushes so that's that sorted.

I've also started cleaning the diff and will also give that a spray of GMH Black before changing the oil and gasket.

I got into the Christmas spirit last weekend so I bought myself a couple of gifts.

An aluminium diff cover with incorporated reinforced crossbar.

VLDiffCover.jpg

And some AU Ford Twin Thermo Fans with the Davis Craig DC 0401 controller. Got these from Justin at Tuff Car Parts at a great price.

EngineBay-TwinAUthermalFans.jpg

EngineBay-MechanicalThermalSwitch0401.jpg

Next plan is to drop off the fuel tank and straps at the spray painters to have it painted. I was originally going to go for a GMH Black or matt black tank with silver straps but have decided to go with a mercury silver tank (Same silver that the car is going to painted) and GMH Black straps.

Do people recommend installing the diff first then the tank so it doesn’t get scratched or the other way around?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Let us know how you go fitting the AU's between the rails. Had a set for my VH but decided to can the idea because they're too big. Most people i've spoken to and read about have used Mondeo fans, including myself, they fit nice with minimal cutting.

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
cool ride mate!! i like vh era...Cheers jason

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
I read the same thing about the mondeo fans. I trial fitted the fans in the bay and it seemed to fit between the rails. I'll get come pics up of the install.

PirateJoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute, YZF-R6
Still got quite a bit to go but good to see all the progress mate. You're gonna go back to the engine bay right? Please tell me you are fixing u the battery tray corrosion?

I'm trying to work out the go with the rear bar angle against the tank is it warped or your camera's just playing tricks?

Nice find mate, stay keen.

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Been really lazy so only a small amout of updates to report.

I modified the gearbox selector so it still looks like the original VH shifter and got the fuel tank and staps sprayed. I'm definately going to get stuck into the diff this weekend and try and get the the rear end all sorted.

After the rear end is back in, the plan is to drop the car off at a mechanic and get the car all wired up and ready for blue slip. Once it's passed that it's off to the panel beaters to get the car sprayed including smoothing the engine and fixing u the battery tray corrosion (cutting out the current and replacing).

I'll have to look at the rear bar angle against the tank. I know the tank wasn't installed properly at the time. I removed it pretty much straight away and sprayed the tank GM Black and the straps silver (same as the car) and the bar isn't bolted on tight.

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Yeah it's just a bend in the lower edge of the beaver panel, nothing too bad.

Here's a few pics of the diff with the new cover.

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Hi All,

The rear end is now all back together and finished. I've now turned my attention back to the front end and trying to finish hooking up the engine.

I've bought myself a PWR transmission cooler but I'm unsure where I should run the transmission lines. From the tranmission, I was going to
run the lines down the drivers of the bayside but am worried that the lines are too close to the extractors or will rub on the steering shaft.

Where should I be running the lines?
Anyone have any pics of where they ran their lines?