Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH SLE 2 TONE blue/silver rebuild

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
if your going to smooth the engine bay there is no point keeping it original, if its a good clean example keep it as original as you can

scott

VH's have beautifully clean and simple lines the only thing that lets that philosophy down is the messy wiring and if your going to strip the car back to bare metal then take the chance to fix the factory cost cutting!
Going by your theory when putting it back together you should leave the dodgy factory body panels gaps, these cars are never going to make 6 figure sums at auctions so you don't have to make the 100% factory just neat and clean.
Just don't make dodgy cheap mods like stupid want to be body kits, crappy Super Cheap steering wheels and two dollar shop wheels.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
these cars are never going to make 6 figure sums at auctions so you don't have to make the 100% factory just neat and clean.

SL/e is a special edition, and as much as people are blind to the fact, special editions BECOME more valuable that people often realise. if we were talking bottom end VH, granted it probably will remain a similar price to what it is. but the two tone SL/E's are already being sought after, and popularity makes them more valuable.

supply and demand baby. the more of these that get modified, the less stock standard examples are left which then makes them worth more.

if you want to modify a commodore, give that one to me and you can go bananas on a regular VH

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Sort after yes but they are never going to bring the GTHO money or even Monaro money, smooth out the engine bay hide the wiring. Even a car with full service history, matching numbers and one owner would struggle to bring in 10 grand that will go up but it will but not to the levels you guys are talking about. If it was a Brock you'd be right, time for a reality check.

saladine1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2 5.7
I had a pretty much immaculate Venetian Red over Mercury Silver SLE 5.0 not long ago. I gave the engine bay a respray, tidied up the wiring, repainted the block and rocker covers in GMH Blue, repainted the original air cleaner,new decal..etc. It had a manual conversion from the Auto to an M21 setup. Engine was the original though with no mods,low k's.
I sold it for $10000.
The days following the sale,(buyer was yet to pick up the car), I was bombarded with calls amd messages asking if i'd sell them the car instead and that they would offer more money(I had a guy beg me to take $14000 for it). I told them it was too late and a bloke from S.A took the car home.
Another thing, and I'm not joking here, I had received heaps of calls 6 months after asking If I still had the car!
What's my point here?
Well, if a car is really sort after, it doesn't have to be in an absolute original condition for a worthwhile sale to happen, but is does help. As long as most of the original stuff is intact it should be fine.
At the moment, i'm on the hunt for an SLE two tone 5.0 again. I've been looking and looking but to no avail. I've begged the bloke who bought my car to sell it back but he has absolutely no intention of selling!
All I can say is, if you have one for sale, they are worth nothing so sell it to me!
Seriously though, there has been of late an influx of shadow tone SLE buyers with no SLE's to be seen(5.0 version).
They are the last and best of the chrome bumpers and will fetch high prices in a few years to come...you'd better believe it!

P.S- Does anyone have an original two tone SLE 5.0 for sale,lol?
No,seriously,anyone?

Last edited:

mooks6669

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II MY17 SS Manual
i always wanted one of these when i got my license...was obssesed....nice choice of car mate...put some pics up through stages hey

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
if your going to smooth the engine bay there is no point keeping it original, if its a good clean example keep it as original as you can

scott

Engine bay detailed, exterior standard and original. Given 26+ years of wear, oil leaks, brake fluid leaks and the ratty wiring that came from factory the engine bay is usually a mess. What better way to fix it than to smooth it out and clean it up.