Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vibrating steering wheel

Mags077

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VF SS Redline
Hi, I have a 2017 VF SS. I’ve had issues with vibrating steering wheel going side to side. It’s not constant. It can get slightly worse when slight turning of the steering wheel. Wheels and tyres balanced by 2 seperate tyre places. Wheels and tyres swapped around and still the same. The tyre place had my car on the hoist with car started and jacked the front up so front wheels were off the ground and with a slight turn of the steering wheel, the wheels wobbled side to side quickly like it was shaking. They said that this is not normal and it was a steering issue. The second place did the same and jacked the front up whilst on the hoist and it didn’t do it. Has anyone encountered this problem. Any help would be great? Thanks.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
What frequency does it vibrate at?

Like is it a couple of oscillations per second, or is it like an electric toothbrush?

When it happens are you able to speed up or slow down slightly, and feel the frequency change with your change in speed? ==> if so you know it's wheels/tyres & nothing to do with steering, I guess.

The tyre place had my car on the hoist with car started and jacked the front up so front wheels were off the ground and with a slight turn of the steering wheel, the wheels wobbled side to side quickly like it was shaking.
So with the car idling & off the ground, they turned the steering wheel, and rather than moving smoothly/slightly they were vibrating?

When you say "wobbled", do you mean like something was loose, and the vibrations became smaller? ==> if so could be something loose in steering or suspension
Or do you mean it was like the steering was actively pushing the wheels back & forth, like the wobbles were powered? ==> if so then I'd agree that steering sounds bad - has it had the recall that so many VF's had done for the steering cutting out?

Mags077

Reaction score
Members Ride
I thought most tyre places had a mechanic on staff who could easily diagnose those types of problems.

Are the rims stock?
Have you hit a pothole or kerb?

We just got the car and it had a slight vibrate on the steering wheel. We only had it a couple of days and we put Walkinshaw wheels on from east coast tyre and auto

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
If it’s wobbling or vibrating with both lots of wheels, plus everything is balanced properly, then it surely has to be wear in steering.
Take it to a proper mechanic to have it repaired I would suggest.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
If it’s wobbling or vibrating with both lots of wheels, plus everything is balanced properly, then it surely has to be wear in steering.
He said the wheel/tyre seller had it hoisted off the ground & the front wheels were "wobbling" when the steering wheel was turned ... I think that needs to be investimigated for what it means exactly!

Mags077

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thank you. It only has 60k on the clock. Would that be still possible?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Sounds very much like some bushes or possibly the rack moving within it's mount.

I very much doubt it'd be a tyre/wheel issue, considering the wheels move with no weight on them..

This is all assumptions, as I'd really need to see it in person..

Mags077

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sounds very much like some bushes or possibly the rack moving within it's mount.

I very much doubt it'd be a tyre/wheel issue, considering the wheels move with no weight on them..

This is all assumptions, as I'd really need to see it in person..
Thank you

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
You’ve not answered about what you meant with the wheels “wobbling” when it was on the hoist.