Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vibrating steering wheel

Mags077

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VF SS Redline
thanks for that.
Cheers. Thanks for that. Will

do.
+1

Steering wheel vibration can be caused by tyres, brakes, wheel bearings or suspension/steering gear being worn out but the mechanical side of this vehicle should be relatively easy to diagnose and correct (if there are issues). I assume to date no mechanical issues that have been found.

The problem with the VF is that the mechanical side of the steering could be 100% OK yet the electronic control system side has been known to do odd things. A shimmy that occurs when the steering wheel is turned with the engine running with the road wheel off the ground definitely seems to fit the scenario of a control system issue.

As such, I'd check the steering rack motor connectors are indeed gold plated. If the steering rack connectors are not gold plated , that could be a string indication that the EPS recall wasn't performed correctly. If that's the case I'd be questioning Holden why you don't have those gold pins and why it looks like the EPS recall wasn't done (the EPS rack recall was supposed to address this problem of connectors fretting corrosion and loss of steering assistance, the gold plated pins supposedly did just that).

Being that the control system may also have other issues, I'd get the vehicle system checked for any DTC's and also perform a (software) steering calibration to ensure the system at least thinks it's working correctly. Then assess it's behaviour.

Really, at 60,000 kms, I'd be making this issue Holden's problem as their product in this case seems defective and should be addressed by them under your ACL statutory warranty rights.... And if they accept this premis and correct if gratis, I'd then bill them for all your costs incurred to date chasing this issue.

Gotta start somewhere
Thank you for that.

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
Without seeing it, it sounds to me like it's an EPS problem . Has the universal repair of a reboot been tried?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Hi, I have a 2017 VF SS. I’ve had issues with vibrating steering wheel going side to side. It’s not constant. It can get slightly worse when slight turning of the steering wheel. Wheels and tyres balanced by 2 seperate tyre places. Wheels and tyres swapped around and still the same.
This is common with VF's particularly that it can be vibration free in a straight line and as you load the steering wheel slightly to stay in your lane or follow a curve in the road, there's a slight shudder whilst the steering is loaded.

How you fix that issue, is reprogramming the steering control module and conducting the setup procedure with the GM SPS programming software. Dealers can do it but the barrier in most cases, is arguing with these fools and convincing them to do it for you.

I messed around with this vibration issue for months with my old GenF R8 that had only 5000km's on it and wasn't a component wear issue with nothing mechanically viable to cause it. I've since reprogrammed a few other VF's with the same problem and fixed the issue in each case. It's almost like an off centre conflict perhaps with power assist attempting to straighten the steering wheel and feels like a wheel imbalance issue.