Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VIC: RECOVERED: MY17 SSV Redline Sportwagon AMG156 - Monash University, Clayton, VIC

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
For a self confessed technological neanderthal I don’t think you are able to make a judgements about strengths and weaknesses of PKES or RFID based security systems. Heck I don’t have a clear understanding all the vulnerabilities but I know they exist.

Many security experts have deemed non upgradable systems as a security failure and thus defective by design. It’s not my definition but that of the many experts who have been critical of vehicle PKES systems, IOT and many other bits of technology normal users just use and don’t comprehend the technicalities and vulnerabilities.

Truth is crims will always be crims but why do manufacturers need to make things easier for them by creating poor security solutions that can’t be upgraded as vulnerabilities are exposed and better measures pit in place to counter such issues. Such has been the staple of pC’s and similar for many many decades.

Security (or the lack of it) is a difficult problem to solve when many manufacturers don’t case about it :mad:

Sadly I know quite a few people who do everything on their old phones (banking, purchases, etc). Unsurprisingly their (Android) phones have stopped receiving security updates for a few years already. They just have no idea of their exposure and don’t want to stop banking on their old phone or spend the money on buying a new phone that gets updated. Beggars belief :oops:

But spare me your barbs about me seeing the defects… pity more don’t see the impending cliffs :rolleyes:

Simple fact is, security systems fitted to cars by manufacturers will always be able to be accessed because people will always loose/damage keys/fobs....

It's unfortunate crims will always be involved in thefts using such technology.....

So it has nothing to do with defects by manufacturers.....If a crim wants to learn how to get around these systems, they will...We can only find some other system to try keep our price and joy in our possession and I like @Smitty one......Seen it plenty of times on the telly where crims are busted because a tracker is fitted....

What was said to me once rings true....Once new technology is released to the general public, it becomes obsolete....And this is a classic example of it....

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
Back in the 70s the fcukres tried to steal my HK GTS Monaro! They were foiled by the fact that I had removed the rotor arm! (A bit inconvenient every time to start the car!!!) They caused a bit of damage to it though. Out of frustration I guess.
On my LJ Torana I had a home-made immobiliser with a key pad and LED. I never had an issue with that one. Custom is the way to go. That way nobody else can disable it.
I remember back in the day when Mongoose etc came to prominence there were instances where people were breaking into cars to steal the alarm!!?!??

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Wow, you've got me scared to take mine there now. Time to buy a steering lock maybe, I though modern systems had made them redundant.

I think I used to see (or more accurately hear) your car sometimes. Nice note. What a shitter.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Wow, you've got me scared to take mine there now. Time to buy a steering lock maybe, I though modern systems had made them redundant...
I read a report on vehicle security (lack there of) and the author’s recommendation was for the owner to use a club lock on his steering wheel.

So what’s old is new again :p:p:p

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
And bring back the Crook-Lock and smeared human excrement on the steering wheel.
That'll stop em!
Not if the crooks works as mechanics for a car dealer as their day job… Pinching and then driving excrement covered cars will just be like their normal day job :p:p:p

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
true but if the vehicle is disabled via the gtk a signal jammer wont do anything but keep the vehicle disabled.
the gtk uses both cell(4g) and gps to operate and once it disables the vehicle you would need to find the device and bypass it to get the vehicle running.
if you install it so it is well hidden then they are going to waste a lot of time looking for it and its only a little bit larger than a matchbox so its not a thing thats easily spotted.

it also records its location history internally so if it does get a chance to communicate with gps or 4g it will upload its recorded location data but like anything there are always ways around it.

here is one of the vehicles and what it did today, it logs every path and stop, for how long, speed and can include obd data and a bunch of other stuff that i never enabled.
if the signal drops out it just keeps logging and uploads anything it can once it can connect.
But that’s the thing, pro’s who drive your car 5kms down the road and into the back of a semi (faraday cage on wheels) will then be able to drive the semi anywhere they want and it can’t be tracked… Then the pro’s will have all the time in the world to locate, remove and destroy your tracker while the car is sitting inside that faraday cage and before it’s had a change to send the location data to any server via 4G…

I’d expect pro’s would focus such efforts on more expensive and profitable machines rather than our bogan commodores, so that’s a saving grace (of sorts)

Definitely agree that such tracking devices are fantastic in finding a car after less sophisticated thieves have pinch it, especially joy riders who fang about then dump it. I’ve heard of people locating their cars before the police arrive to investigate… So for the majority of thefts, they are great tools to have and well worth it.

But heck, even an Apple AirTag works well in many cases as miscreants almost always have their phones with them since many make and post video’s of their antics on social media… Only issue with AirTag is that I believe they only works with Apple phones(?) so not sure what flavour of phone (iOS or Android) your average miscreant uses :p

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
CCTV shows them getting out of a car and stealing a car from the new Monash Heart hospital. They then drove off in both cars. The original car then drove around Monash university where they then stole our car. CCTV shows that as soon as they stopped at our car, the indicators flashed, so they were able to unlock it instantly. They then spent 30 min inside the car before driving off. I dont know anything about car security, but I presume that was the time required to "code a key of sorts, or reset the security system". My wife did note someone sitting in a car opposite her when she parked which she thought was unusual. I'm wondering if they were intercepting signals so when their mates turned up, they could unlock the car.

I figure a W407 Commodore will be flogged to **** or stripped out.

I'm sad as I had hoped to keep it forever. I have the 407KW plates that I never fitted. Shame.

That is scary. I know Monash University itself has number plate recognition systems on all its entries so it’s practically impossible to enter or leave the university without number plates being recorded and the car photographed.

From what I understand, the Heart Hospital is both a University and a state government hospital so I’m not sure if the university is looking after the security there as well? If the university’s security was being used there should be a record of the number plates of the two cars coming and going (and even prior casing-out-visits). No doubt the thieves would used false number plates on their vehicle.

Definitely quite brazen considering the number of security cameras in the general area.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Rule .303 should be applied to all thieves...

Fixed it for you

Fingers crossed OP that it come back safe and sound. Certainly concerning that it seems people are going to such lengths to steal it

We had a scare when the old man had a break in in broad daylight. He was working in the yard, and the 16 y/o (On bail of course, you can figure the rest) stalked his movements around the yard for over an hour on CCTV, then made a move and got in via the back door

Got the keys to what was then his brand new MY17 SV6. Often in the town, the stolen cars would be thrashed then torched

What saved it? The oxygen thief couldn't figure out the Push Button start and ran off empty handed

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
But that’s the thing, pro’s who drive your car 5kms down

you read the part i said about disabled right?, i think you mean "push" your car 5km down the road or tow it.
but pushing it does not make for a good action scene :p

i forgot to mention it has tow detection too so if it moves without the engine running your phone will light up with alerts.

this is my phone app

app.jpg

Last edited:

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
Our MY17 SSV Redline Sportwagon in heron white was stolen from Monash University in Clayton today at 11am.

Car was locked and CCTV shows they gained entry via a remote then started the car 30 min later. Looks like standard security doesn't actually do much.

Standard car except for a Walkinshaw W407 fitted.

Please keep a look out for it.

Victorian registration AMG156
VIN: 6G1FE8EW9HL305008
someone also posted about their blue VF2 SS Sportwagon getting stolen at a hospital at Clayton yesterday as well. Bit suss........