Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vic speed cameras signed now?

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
oh FFS, even if there were signs money would still be made. I am sick of hearing revenue this revenue that, if people are still stupid enough to speed knowing perfectly well how many cams are around then they deserved to be caught. If you DO NOT speed you WILL NOT get fined, why is this so hard to comprehend?

All I'm saying is that by having a sign up saying that there is a camera in the area, even if there isnt, Its going to slow alot more people down than a car hiding behind a bush....

If you put these signs up everywhere, and put a speed camera with some/most of them, people will slow down wherever they see a sign, then put up as many signs as possible...

It gets people to slow down... THEN if someone STILL speeds, theyre the ones that should be off our road, and will get booked accordingly... Only problem with that 'solution' is that the number of fines will drop dramatically, but sure, there will still be penty of fines issued without a doubt.

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
All I'm saying is that by having a sign up saying that there is a camera in the area, even if there isnt, Its going to slow alot more people down than a car hiding behind a bush....

If you put these signs up everywhere, and put a speed camera with some/most of them, people will slow down wherever they see a sign, then put up as many signs as possible...

It gets people to slow down... THEN if someone STILL speeds, theyre the ones that should be off our road, and will get booked accordingly... Only problem with that 'solution' is that the number of fines will drop dramatically, but sure, there will still be penty of fines issued without a doubt.

Speed cameras are never hidden. They're always parked out where you can see them. I always treat as suss late model cars parked on the side of the road. Especially if they're on a nature strip. I reckon they're easy to spot. Now radars are a different story. But at least if you get done by a radar, you get pulled over. Which means if you play your cards right or weren't speeding excessively, he/she may just let you go.

But I reckon anyone who says these things are in place as a road safety measure is living in a fantasy land with lepricorns and fairies. :p

Last edited:

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
I have a sign up in my area but no camera, i always look for it lol, sign has been there a good 5 years but there has never been a camera as far as im aware.

I've seen that 'radar speed test' thing up before though, they then flash yoru speed on an LED sign for you. i think it's a mix of getting you to slow down and also letting you test your speedo.

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special

i agree with mike, seriously.... ive drive pretty far sometimes and just crusing on the hway at 100 and ive seen the cops ahead and i looked at my speedo and i was 5 k'z over.. and i was driving constantly for hours that day... and when you dont have cruise control its hard to be 100% all the time, after all were human.... if someone is doing 50 over the speed limit then book them!.... sometimes people creep over the speed limit without knowing and it gives them people who are a lil over a chance to slow down, and if there isnt a camera THEN it just puts more fear into people..... more signs less camera's and rotate them..... people wont know were they are, so they wont want to speed.... and people cant say "they arnt doing it for revenue" because we all know they are, you should see how many camera's there are on the western ring road:|

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon
oh FFS, even if there were signs money would still be made. I am sick of hearing revenue this revenue that, if people are still stupid enough to speed knowing perfectly well how many cams are around then they deserved to be caught. If you DO NOT speed you WILL NOT get fined, why is this so hard to comprehend?

This is my sentiment exactly too.

Although I do wonder what the government would do if all of a sudden people didn't speed break any traffic laws, and hence they made no revenue from traffic offences. Would speed tollerences drop or better yet would speed limits drop in the hope of catching people out? Can we screw the government?? lol

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline

What the, you are joking right? All signs will do is slow people down when they see the sign, then speed up when they pass it. Sorry, but it isnt hard with or without cruise to sit on or just under the speed limit.

As someone else said, lets screw the government by not giving them free money. Slow down. Simple.

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Welll.. you see, people are going to speed anyway.. no matter what you do, no matter what you say, peolpe are going to speed... simple...

We want people to slow down? Put up the signs, watch the people slow down...

What we're doing now isn't working, all its doing is saying 'no, i'd rather not try any other approach, We're making good money out of it this way'.

I'm not justifying speeding in any way, in any situation (apart from REAL emergencies of course). All I'm saying is, what we're doing now isnt working... But, as you all agree, seeing a sign is going to get people to slow down, even if it is for that little stretch of road.

Chuck up a whole bunch of the signs everywhere, and as padrickz said, rotate the cameras, no one will know where they REALLY are, and will slow down every time they see a sign, practically halving the need to even have speed camreas.

And when people see speed cameras, or a car parked on the side of the road.. they dont slow down anyway??? Its only the few people that dont, that will also get caught out by what im saying...

I'm not saying its a perfect solution, I'm not saying take away all speed cameras (even though they should, but im not saying that, im being practical and opening up my eyes and my mind)... All I'm saying is... Its a better way, which will more effectivly slow drivers down in MANY more areas than a speed camera can do

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
point to point speed cameras will slow people down for sure. i read a report that they could in theory track you from one part of the state to another and work out if you broke the speed limit over the entire trip

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon
point to point speed cameras will slow people down for sure. i read a report that they could in theory track you from one part of the state to another and work out if you broke the speed limit over the entire trip

Don't they already do this with trucks? I heard there are laws in place now that restrict how much driving a truck driver can do in any given 24 hour period (or it might be 48 hour?), so they have these point to point camera's set up to record how much driving they are doing, and also how long the trip has taken them. If they have done the trip too quickly then they know that they have been speeding.

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
^ I think they already do this... I think It might be on the Hume Highway? (Unless they just have a whole bunch of speed cameras in only a few kms)

Cameras along a stretch of road however long measure your speed at certain intervals, and then calculate your average speed, depending on how long it took you to get from point A and point E for instance.

And like you said Troy, "Speed cameras will slow people down for sure", Wont a Sign saying that there is a speed camera ahead do the same thing? Except now, you can have more signs that speed cameras, hence, people will be slowing down in more areas, even if it is just for that little stretch of road... as they do now anyway.

From the people that don't agree with me... Do I at least have a legitimate point here?