Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Video review of my VFII SSV Redline

Ryan_044

Reaction score
Members Ride
16' VFII Redline A6
Hi all!

Thought I'd share this review that was done of my car by a local automotive youtuber who has been producing some great content where he posts video reviews (really quality imo) of performance cars which are actually owned by real people and vary in terms of make / model / mods etc but there is a decent focus on Aus cars. He is based in WA but was in Melb for a week earlier this year so reached out to see if he would be interested in reviewing mine being the last commodore etc and he actually was! He also does a 0-100 in his reviews which I think are great as it's a "real world" time on street surface / tyres etc..really good to see what works on the street (at least 0-100 anyway)

A few points to note below as it captures the info which is spread across the video:
  • Mods: VCM Intake / HSV 340 Extractors and mid section / Tune + Trans tune by C&A Auto Fashion (I asked them to adjust the trans tune be a bit firmer) - was making 272rwkw at the time of the video / Trans cooler / Andriod Auto & carplay integration kit by Naviplus
  • The car had an intermittent check engine light come on and off earlier this year even though the car drove fine - this has since been sorted out by C&A after the video was done (dirty maf) and a re-tune / catch can installed and now makes 277rwkw
  • I think I know what he means by the slight lag in using the padels to upshift - when under normal load the padels do take a bit longer to upshift but when giving it some beans it does upshift quicker

Hope you guys enjoy!

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Yep, have subscribed to Ross Reviews and love his content, but I haven't got around to watching this video yet... Nice car!

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
I watched this -it was pretty decent, but I find most of Ross' stuff annoying and contradictory, not to mention super Ford-biased. Almost every vid he compares whatever car he's testing to his turbo Barra, and they never stack up to the mighty Barra apparently.

He never gets close to 0-100kmh potential, he needs to do more than one run in opposite directions at the very least and take the autos out of sport mode.

He often refers to any commodore/HSV he tests as a 'boat' in the handling department, even sportier stuff like Redlines, Maloos etc, and always bags out Holden interiors as cheap and plasticky (even VF)... mate, you drive Falcons... which were usually a generation behind Holden in both departments.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
I watched this -it was pretty decent, but I find most of Ross' stuff annoying and contradictory, not to mention super Ford-biased. Almost every vid he compares whatever car he's testing to his turbo Barra, and they never stack up to the mighty Barra apparently.

He never gets close to 0-100kmh potential, he needs to do more than one run in opposite directions at the very least and take the autos out of sport mode.

He often refers to any commodore/HSV he tests as a 'boat' in the handling department, even sportier stuff like Redlines, Maloos etc, and always bags out Holden interiors as cheap and plasticky (even VF)... mate, you drive Falcons... which were usually a generation behind Holden in both departments.
Yeah, he's certainly Ford biased and a Barra guy... But he still makes great content overall, in my opinion...

Ryan_044

Reaction score
Members Ride
16' VFII Redline A6

Haha I know he mentions in some reviews that certain cars have more than just big power as the main appeal (compared to barras which is their main appeal) but haven't noticed anything over the top about them always being better than what he reviews.

I think your partially right about the 0-100 but also think that draggy tool is unforgivingly accurate and some of the rwd cars he tests just have too much power and not enough traction. With mine having the Michelins I think it would've dripped into the 4s with a bit more stall off the line as it hooks up decently!