Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Chinese Android Head Unit Review - $595

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I promised a review and here it is.
TLDR: Can't imagine a better option. Get it, you wont regret it.

As someone who loves tinkering, an android head unit was perfect for me. I can't remember where I came across this one (I think it was here), but it included the fascia for the dash, the canbus decoder and a generic head unit. I got the 4GB/64GB version. It was $595 AUD all up.

The unit had some factory settings I wanted to look at and change some developer options which were locked behind a password, but the seller supplied it. (BTW password is 3368) For the technically inclined, it is a Unisoc UIS8581A 8 Core: 4x ARM Cortex-A55 @ 1.6 GHz, 4x ARM Cortex-A55 @ 1.2 GHz. It runs android 10 (but for some reason it says android 11!)
If you want to read a bit more about the tech side, XDA is good:

First up. All the canbus stuff. It works beautifully. Reverse, the reverse cam comes up. dash warnings, indicators, all that kind of stuff. Dipping left wing mirror works. The only thing that doesnt work is the heated seats on my calais.

In terms of brightness, it's excellent. I only struggled to see it at one time in my driving - direct sunlight angled on. Could still see, but it was a struggle.

Often run Torque and waze with music in the background (or radio). Split screening apps works well too. The only downside is that the audio quality for phone calls on the other end is lower than the mylink (even though this Mic is right next to the factory mic). It's still ok, just not as good.
My set up is Nova Launcher. One little quirk is, to enable USB reading properly you need to install an extra APK for the documents UI:

Also, factory USB slot works with it.

Fairly easy to install too. No wiring needed, all just goes in harnesses.
image001.jpg

image002.jpg

One trick with the radio: I needed an adaptor. Specifically a 'Fakra Z male to DIN. I bought this one from Amazon:

You can see it in the picture below. The black part is the factory antenna connector.

image003.jpg

Since I have a GPS antenna, I wanted to use the factory antenna - but I needed another adapter. This time a Fakra C male to SMA male. I got this one:

In the mean time however, I used the antenna the head unit came with. Worked beautifully.

image004.jpg

This is where I put the GPS antenna and the 4G antenna then fed the wires down. (OfC, the grill is back on :)

image008.jpg

And here's a picture of my UI:
image009.jpg

I realise I dont have a photo of it installed. Will chuck one up tomorrow. Too dark now to get a good one!

I did a bit of a video summary too, if you'd like to see.

I'll gladly answer questions/etc.

Attachments

• image007.jpg
    image007.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 138
  • image010.jpg
    image010.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
No heated seats is a deal breaker....

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
looks good as a factory looking option , does it stay on when you turn off the car and turn off when you open the door ?
@dassaur Your links arent working properly , they take you to AliExpress home page

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
If only they made something like that for the VE Commodores. Seems like a better solution than the usual Aerpro fascia plus aftermarket head unit.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
looks good as a factory looking option , does it stay on when you turn off the car and turn off when you open the door ?
@dassaur Your links arent working properly , they take you to AliExpress home page
All the links work for me? Tried 2 devices.
Yes it's as factory. So if car turned off, will stay on until driver's door opens

Edit to add plaintext links
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001659837763.html - Fakra connector
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004198195943.html - head unit

Last edited:

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
my question... how would it integrate with HSV EDI?

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Great guide for those interested in such a system. Luckily my VF is a weekend car, so I'm not that fussed around full connectivity or up to date maps, so will likely leave MyLink as is.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I have no idea... I think it will be tricky depending on how EDI is controlled, because the physical buttons are gone. If edi were just an output (i.e. no input to control things) it would definitely be doable but if you need to input data etc I can't see it working.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
it wont unless you create a software layer to interpret the can data and a connection to the canbus.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
All the links work for me? Tried 2 devices.
Yes it's as factory. So if car turned off, will stay on until driver's door opens

Edit to add plaintext links
[URL]https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001659837763.html[/URL] - Fakra connector
[URL]https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004198195943.html[/URL] - head unit
The shipping is a killer at $A143 - is that what you paid?