Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK 202 Coil

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Was washing some oil spilt from changing my oil today and i had the engine running as intended to just give it a quick hit under the oil filter and i splashed i little bit of degreaser on my coil and the engine instantly stopped, never had a problem with coils getting wet and failing before.
So i finished washing the engine and then gave the coil a good blow off with air, i didnt spray the coil any further with any water and it still had no go, so i tapped it with a hammer and it started to work again.

I have a Bosch GT40 RT coil that i could use as mine could **** itself at any moment i think, but the new coil says it must be used with a ballast resistor in the primary circuit. I was gonna use it on my Ute but i figured it would burn the points but the VK has no points so can i use it with out a resistor? Or will it burn out the coil or something.

And what is a ballast resistor/ what does it do?

tha goviner

Reaction score
wickapedia for ballast resistior - Electrical ballast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i had the same probelm in my vh simplest thing to do to fix it is put a peice of wire across from the battery to the coil and start it usually takes a few go
s but usually works just make sire ya put it on the positive side of the coil though lol blew a few up not doing this lol

UNDERCOVER HQ

HOT 202
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN BERLINA 202
Radio

I heard balance resitor is used in older cars. It stops any crackerling going through your radio. So depending on wat stero you got you may not need it.