Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vk 202 EFI wont start.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
He said it doesn’t have spark. Need to get a multimeter or test light to see where it has power and where it doesn’t. Doesn’t sound like it’s going to be something too sinister if it’s just spark.

jesse santilli

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk 202efi
He said it doesn’t have spark. Need to get a multimeter or test light to see where it has power and where it doesn’t. Doesn’t sound like it’s going to be something too sinister if it’s just spark.
Correct just spark and also the fuel pump isn't priming

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Correct just spark and also the fuel pump isn't priming
In that case either the relay is no good/incorrect or the wiring’s bad to the fuel pump or relay.

Start by fixing the spark issue. Could even be an ignition switch problem. Then make sure that the relay is getting what it needs to energise the fuel pump circuit(from my earlier post)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The ignition system is totally separate to the ecu for these models. They work in exactly the same way as the blue motor ignition systems.

Try replacing the ignition module - this is the problem 99% of the time. Old corollas/pulsars etc use a bosch dizzy with the same module. I used to grab them from the wreckers cheap a few years back. Always good to keep a spare in the car.

The tachiometric relay takes signal from the ignition, starter and the coil. So without ignition pulse it’ll only prime the fuel pump shortly then stop, will power the pump when cranking and that’s it. Should hear the relay click on and off when it ‘primes’ when ignition is turned to the on position.

All due respect, but the VC has a blue motor to begin with, complete with an electronic distributer. Just happens I replaced the blue motor with a red, but still have the electronic ignition distributer fitted

jesse santilli

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk 202efi
In that case either the relay is no good/incorrect or the wiring’s bad to the fuel pump or relay.

Start by fixing the spark issue. Could even be an ignition switch problem. Then make sure that the relay is getting what it needs to energise the fuel pump circuit(from my earlier post)
What does the ignition switch look like.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
All due respect, but the VC has a blue motor to begin with, complete with an electronic distributer. Just happens I replaced the blue motor with a red, but still have the electronic ignition distributer fitted
Not sure what you mean.

Blue motor came with bosch hei.

Vk carb had EST controlled by a computer.

VK EFI used the old ‘blue motor’ style HEI just with a different advance curve. My point being that the vk efi ignition system works in the same way as the earlier hei system, not the same as the carb vk and not controlled by the ecu - therefore ruling the ecu out as the problem contributing to no spark.

The only one that isn’t won’t fit other models is est due to the chopper wheel and pickup at the flexplate on carb vk’s but that’s not relevant here. I had the efi dizzy on my 202 and red 186 few years back.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Not sure what you mean.

Blue motor came with bosch hei.

Vk carb had EST controlled by a computer.

VK EFI used the old ‘blue motor’ style HEI just with a different advance curve. My point being that the vk efi ignition system works in the same way as the earlier hei system, not the same as the carb vk and not controlled by the ecu - therefore ruling the ecu out as the problem contributing to no spark.

The only one that isn’t won’t fit other models is est due to the chopper wheel and pickup at the flexplate on carb vk’s but that’s not relevant here. I had the efi dizzy on my 202 and red 186 few years back.

So if you turn on the key so you have power to the coil and bridge the starter motor, so the motor turns over, it should eliminate a short that might be in the loom that causes the power to be lost to the coil when cranking and prevent it firing up.

And this is the issue I have with my loom....Power to the coil, with the ignition on....turn the key to crank and loose power to the coil....Fix...Have a seperate button to engage the starter....