Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK Motor(s)

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Compared to any of the other standard motors in a vk! Efi is way better off the line then carby.

i gotta agree with that the vk efi is a vast improvement over the carby motor i jumped out of my carby 202 and had a drive of a vk efi 202 (both stock) and there was a big difference between them was dissapointing to have to jump back into the carby 202.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Yeh i agree too, i drove a worn out inj 202 and then got back in my (still had the 202 a this stage) VK and got disappointed by its comparative lack of go. But yeh VKs in australia only had black 202, which was carby or injected but no manual injected ones were released so any you see like that aren't original. And the good old black 308, and 304 HP in Brock and ss models.

Exported VKs got the option of a 1.9l starfire 4 and a 2.85L 6. Thank god we never saw those here the black 202s only just do the job, anything less and the car would feel completely gutless.

Rhin0o8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais Impounded?
alot of mixed opinions here ay . lol

Im looking to buy a VK for a daily drive soon, May do some mods down the track eventually . Maybe

So the injected 202 had more grunt than the Carby engine?.
what about Mods which engine can you do more with? injected or Carby
Im pretty new to the whole mod thing.

what sort of price range am I looking at for a standard VK. Im pretty sure I wont find one that hasnt been customized or had some Mod added to it

My budget would ideally be up to $1500, Maybe $1800. Buying in SA

Or maybe I should be looking at getting a 308 V8 ?. probably around the $3000 mark ?

any opinion/suggestion appreciated.
Thanks

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
202 carby are far easier to modify but the inj setup is very basic, no CEL or diagnostics, you cannot tune it in anyway from factory. But many people put a Delco (same as VN-VP VR v6 ect) system on a the 202 and have the computer retuned to suit the new engine. But that gets very technical especially for beginners.......
You cant go wrong with a carby model, just get a new cam, set of decent pistons, port the head with bigger valves, roller rockers then just put on a holley or a webber and your set. You can do all that (except carbs ob) to a inj 202 but its harder to get it running right because of the stock computer tune ect. But a standard inj 202 has more power to start with.

vktorana

Reaction score
Members Ride
efi 202 torana, vk project car!
Average vk is from like 200 to 800 but usually been thrashwd. Find a decent condition one ya lookin around a grand. Now I'm not sayin a 202 is in any way reliable but the injected ones are better to start and better on fuel too. are you on ya p's? If not go a v6 conversion. Lookin at around 3 grand but far more reliable and 100 times more fuel efficient. And standard v6 has more power then the standard 308. Just my opinion mate. Where in sa ya from?

Rhin0o8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais Impounded?
Im leaning towards the injected 202 6 cyl. from what you guys have posted

but i think id enjoy a 308 more

but What type of V6 conversion are you talking about ? what engine you suggest i use?
I well past my P's lol

308's are 175kw ?

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
vk carby 202 is 86kw ,efi 202 106kw and 5lt is 126kw if your going a v6 my suggestion would be an ecotec

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
I did a V6 conversion :D, its pretty good, but i think the main problem with them is everyone thats does one thinks the car is gonna be a fully sick racing machine after they put the engine in and then get disappointed when its only goes a bit quicker then your average car. The V6 VK has more poke then the 308 vk i have and uses way less fuel, 308 are still better in everyway :p. And theres nothing wrong with 202 carbs, most are just old stuffed and thrashed, one thats been looked after will be fine and reliable. Mine was always a little grumpy to start hot though, but only if left for a short time, eg on a trip somewhere and you stop at a servo for fuel. But if left a little longer like when you stop to eat at maccas ect it was fine, i dont know why it never bothered me. I got pretty decent (for a 202 anyway) economy around town about 13.5l per 100, and the best i got was 8l per 100 on a trip. averaged 8.5 to 9 on trips which isnt bad.

vktorana

Reaction score
Members Ride
efi 202 torana, vk project car!
Yea 308 is 125kw n standard v6 is I think 135. But v6 would be way better on fuel. I used a vn v6 cos picked up a fully running vn with reconditioned v6 for 300 bucks. Was quite simple to wire up actually. N just about everything was just bolted to my vk. Only fabrication I had to do was the gearbox mount and exhaust. Sold it for 3500 few weeks ago cos got an offer. N as far as the v6 not having enough power, well ever driven a vn? Basically same as that and as far as modifycations go ya got a huge market! Hope this helps ya decide.

If ya decide to do the conversion I could prob come give ya hand cos I'm in sa myself.

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
Go the 308. In ari666's words - anything you do to your 202 or v6 I can do to the 308 and get a better result.