Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK V8 radiator pressure.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Does anyone know what kind of pressure a stock standard Vk V8 radiator will take? stock is 105kpa. Is it possible it can take 135kpa or will it blow or eventually blow?

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
The radiator will probably handle it but the heater element probably wont. A lot of cars only have low pressure heater elements that eventually give way

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
hmm never thought of that, reason i ask as i wanted to use a Vk v8 radiator i have for when i do my V6 conversion, as V6 has system pressure of 135kpa and Vk 105, so any ideas of what running the V6 system at 105 would do to the Engine cooling performance? just lower boiling point wont it so it it wont get as hot before it can no longer cool?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Running a lower rated pressure cap will probably cause hot running temps and the overflow system working overtime, if you are unsure of the heater core then wip it out and take it into a radiator shop and have them test it to at 135kpa.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Its easy said then done to just wip the heater core out lol, im leaning towards a trial and error approach...... if it works with a 105 cap ill leave it be, but if it runs hot ill have to change it, might see if i can get my hands on a second hand heater core to test. also being a V8 radiator should help things as it would be larger then a standard V6 item.