Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK V8 tanks

pushingMACH8

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VK Calais
Hey all,

I have a V8 Calais which needed a new tank. I ended up buying two which were the same size as the original. But I think they are 65 litre tanks, not the larger 80 litre. Is there any way to tell other than filling it up with water and measuring it? Also I was under the impression that all V8s had the larger tank as standard. Is this wrong? Did some V8s come out with 65 litre tanks?

Thanks in advance guys.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I don't recall my old VK 5 litre having an 80 ltr tank.....I did sell it over 20 years ago though.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I don't remember my VH having such a large tank either, just over 60 litres as I remember it. I think the 80 litre tank was a special or optional item.

I think you would notice if you had a bigger tank as it would need to be deeper to accommodate the extra volume.

pushingMACH8

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VK Calais
I don't recall my old VK 5 litre having an 80 ltr tank.....I did sell it over 20 years ago though.
I don't remember my VH having such a large tank either, just over 60 litres as I remember it. I think the 80 litre tank was a special or optional item.

I think you would notice if you had a bigger tank as it would need to be deeper to accommodate the extra volume.

I've always just assumed the larger tanks were standard in V8 models. Probably because the smaller tanks are always called "6 cylinder" tanks.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
My vh originally had the smaller tank. The original motor was a 308. I now have a larger tank out of a vs. I believe it is 80 litre.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I believe the 80 litre tanks were fitted to police cars....Don't quote me on that though...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
My vh originally had the smaller tank. The original motor was a 308. I now have a larger tank out of a vs. I believe it is 80 litre.

If you don't mind me asking, but what fuel sender unit are you using? I have a VS statesman tank here which is an 80 litre, and am wanting to put in the VC....The VS tank has the in tank fuel pump, along with 4 wires coming from the sender unit,which I don't need for the VC....The Vc sender only has a single wire

Thanks

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I believe the 80 litre tanks were fitted to police cars....Don't quote me on that though...

That’s my recollection too. I believe a long-range tank was an option in the VK and routinely fitted to police cars.

My recollection was that (for some reason) the bigger tank option wasn’t available for the VL series at all.

I do recall the early Falcons also had a long-range fuel tank option. I can recall my father’s ZG Fairlane taking just on 100lts on one fill up. It must have been very close to empty though. That car didn’t have the spare wheel well as the tank used that space for the bigger fuel tank. I’m not sure if the Commodore long-range tank also used the spare wheel space?