Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL drift car

NAVZCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6, 1980 WB Tonner
Me and my mates have just bought a VL set up for drifts and burnouts. It already had the suspension done and the diff is welded. Problem is the guy we bought it off has pulled out the fuel tank and is running it on gas. Now being the smart people we are we want to put a turbo kit on it and have a bit more fun with it. Just wanting to know has anyone run a VL turbo on straight gas? As i really haven't have much to do with VL's and i know most of the time to run a turbo'd car on straight gas its quite painful. Any ideas?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Can be done, but to get the best out of it, go to liquid gas injection and run a dedicated ECU. Expensive though. Cheaper to just up the LPG flow. LPG is about 80psi out of the tank so no fuel pump is needed. LPG needs different timing too, it has a sharper advance curve than petrol to about 1200rpm, then less of a curve to 2000, then static all the way to red redline. Around 25 deg advance is all that is needed from 2000rpm as LPG burns at a different rate than petrol and doesn't pre-ignite as easily.