Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL Garnishes/Tail lights, Easiest ways?

RobboVl

VL REPPIN'
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL commodore
G'day guys,
Just pulled off my Tail lights and my garnish.
I was wanting to just pull off the garnish but i figured it would be easier to take the tail lights off with them. (They have a screw or 2 on the lights) It took me about 20mins.
I found it wasn't too hard, But the hardest thing way getting the screws out from the bottom of the garnish, By the end of it i decided to bend the brackets out to get in there.

Anways i was just wondering how you guys go about it?
Whats the easiest way? and the safest?
Cheers! :rofl2:

Oh and heres some flickes of how i went, and the black garnish im chucking on.

One light off
Photo0203.jpg

All off
Photo0204.jpg

Garnishes
Photo0206.jpg

(sorry about the added atachment)

Attachments

• Photo0203.jpg
    Photo0203.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,089

RobboVl

VL REPPIN'
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL commodore
Removing the back bumper is the way i think i did mine, or if your lucky just the little strip but from memory you have to remove the rear bar to get to the strip. Get some pics of your new lights!

Ahh yeah, That makes sense man, thanks :)
Haha i will man! as soon as i get my hands on them!

RobboVl

VL REPPIN'
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL commodore
No worries, its pretty straight forward to take everything off. Just remember to put all your bolts in a jar or something so you dont lose them. Not speaking from expirence or anything ;)

Ahahaha, Yeah will do bro, I've kept all the garnish screws and the tail light bolts in a zip-lock bag. :D

NewVLT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL SL Turbo, VL Exec Turbo & Calais Turbo Wagons
Bloody hell ! Talk about doing it the hard way. :)

No need to remove the bumper or the bumper garnish.

Only way is to undo all the tail light screws inside the boot (both sides at once), then undo the nuts on the garnish where it attaches inside the boot, whilst pressing your body against the garnish so the whole lot doesn't fall out. Then simply hold both tail lights and remove all three pieces at one with the tail lights still joined to the garnish. Do not put any sideways pressure on the lights or you'll break where they attach to the garnish. The rubber from the tail light may have welded itself to the body so you may have to wiggle and prise a but, but be gentle.

Installation is the same (assemble as one piece and lift in) but you'll have to watch the gapping between the garnish and the lights. Too narrow and you'll bugger up the lights screwing them back in. All of the screw points on the lights should easily poke through the holes in the body. If you have to force anything the gapping is wrong. Take it out, adjust and try again.

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
black garnish would go sweet with berlina tail lights......

is it just me or does the left hand side of your car where light goes look like its sagging like its been repaired?

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6

Only way is to undo all the tail light screws inside the boot (both sides at once), then undo the nuts on the garnish where it attaches inside the boot, whilst pressing your body against the garnish so the whole lot doesn't fall out. Then simply hold both tail lights and remove all three pieces at one with the tail lights still joined to the garnish. Do not put any sideways pressure on the lights or you'll break where they attach to the garnish. The rubber from the tail light may have welded itself to the body so you may have to wiggle and prise a but, but be gentle.

Installation is the same (assemble as one piece and lift in) but you'll have to watch the gapping between the garnish and the lights. Too narrow and you'll bugger up the lights screwing them back in. All of the screw points on the lights should easily poke through the holes in the body. If you have to force anything the gapping is wrong. Take it out, adjust and try again.

Well maybe my garnish was held on dodgy because im pretty sure the only way i could do it was with the rear bar off. But your way makes sense. ehh owel

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6

is it just me or does the left hand side of your car where light goes look like its sagging like its been repaired?

Good spotting lol, it looks like it does sag a bit on the lhs

RobboVl

VL REPPIN'
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL commodore

Thanks heaps buddy!, makes sense. :D
but the only thing is the bottom screws on the garnish, Its a pretty tight gap between them and the bumper, nearly impossible to get a screw driver in there?

Thanks for the help bud!

Yeah i was pretty keen on berlina ones man, But now im gettin some VK ones.
Not sure what type but there tinted as hell and have the black outlines, Once i get them i'll post a thread. :)

And yeah i think the left hand has had a wack, The dude who i bought it off didnt metion anything, But i'd say the whole vacks been re-sprayed.
Might have to have a closer look at her and see what i can do.

Cheers for the comment bro.