Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL, Holden or Nissan???

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
LOL all holden commodores are just modified opel shell's and thats from vb-vz. This is a well established fact, holden simply modify the styling and strengthening for us Aussie punters. The VE is the first commodore to be designed from the ground up in Aus.

The rb30e and et are a beauty of an engine and they nearly found their way into VN onwards commo's, it was the exchange rate with Japan that killed it off. It was a brand new engine at the time not fitted to any other vehicles in the world and we even beat nissan with their r31 fitting it to the vl 6 months before their skyline was ready.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
ucwepn said:
LOL all holden commodores are just modified opel shell's and thats from vb-vz. This is a well established fact, holden simply modify the styling and strengthening for us Aussie punters. The VE is the first commodore to be designed from the ground up in Aus.

The rb30e and et are a beauty of an engine and they nearly found their way into VN onwards commo's, it was the exchange rate with Japan that killed it off. It was a brand new engine at the time not fitted to any other vehicles in the world and we even beat nissan with their r31 fitting it to the vl 6 months before their skyline was ready.
Fact: holden also developed the Rb30ET, ( the turbo version) and sent it back to the nissan boys in japan.

kowan

Clayton's Commodore
Reaction score
Website
www.aussiewholesalers.com
Members Ride
91 Clayton's Commodore/Toyota Lexcen
I own two cars, one is a Toyota Lexcen(VN Commodore) and the other car is a Toyota Camry(Holden Apollo) yet these all have the same parts as each other. If I have to get a original part I go to Toyota and Holden and ask for a price difference, yes the prices are different.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
kowan said:
I own two cars, one is a Toyota Lexcen(VN Commodore) and the other car is a Toyota Camry(Holden Apollo) yet these all have the same parts as each other. If I have to get a original part I go to Toyota and Holden and ask for a price difference, yes the prices are different.
yah ive hered that, if you cant get a part from holdnes head to nissian and apparntly holdens charges way more then nissian

ucwepn

Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
No actually nissan created the rb30et, why they never fitted it to any of their own cars is indeed a mystery. When holden went looking for a new engine in 1984 at Nissan in Japan they were informed of a reworked version of the sohc 2.8 I 6 from the 280zx, this motor was due for release in the Australian version of the skyline in 1986. Holden were also informed that the engine came in a turbo version, Holden brought an rb30et back to Australia in their hand luggage and set about creating history, the VL turbo.

ucwepn

Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
VL Berlina 5speed said:
yah ive hered that, if you cant get a part from holdnes head to nissian and apparntly holdens charges way more then nissian

Have you actually rang nissan? They are crooks with their prices, holden aren't much better but still are cheaper than nissan. When I was looking for a new injector I rang both and got prices, it was like $260 from Nissan and $240 from holden just for 1 injector. Trade prices were around $60 cheaper.

GLD-086

Reaction score
ucwepn said:
No actually nissan created the rb30et, why they never fitted it to any of their own cars is indeed a mystery. When holden went looking for a new engine in 1984 at Nissan in Japan they were informed of a reworked version of the sohc 2.8 I 6 from the 280zx, this motor was due for release in the Australian version of the skyline in 1986. Holden were also informed that the engine came in a turbo version, Holden brought an rb30et back to Australia in their hand luggage and set about creating history, the VL turbo.

I always thought the RB30ET, was developed by Holden, well Gibson Motorsport.:confused:

According to a mate of mine, with a R31.

Cheeza5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
nar i think that we can call the VL a holden, even tho its a nissan engine, its still in the body of a holden

ucwepn

Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
GLD-086 said:
I always thought the RB30ET, was developed by Holden, well Gibson Motorsport.:confused:

According to a mate of mine, with a R31.

Gibson motorsport's r31's were import versions with the FJ20det 4cyl engine. The FJ20det is almost identical in design to an SR20det except the block of the fj20det is cast iron where the sr20det has an alloy block. The Gibson motorsport R32 GTR's were of course rb26dett's and were unstoppable.

The rb30et was never used in domestic touring car racing or in the international group A world touring car series.