Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vl s1 block drilling

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
with a cooler run 10psi, Turbo ecu and Injectors on a high-comp setup.

just do it all right, no massive high rpm burnouts to impress ur mates top of second gear kinda thing as u can pop the head gasket,,

in saying this im running 10psi high-comp setup, external gate,and i'm enjoying it... goes good, sounds good.

Do it right and be smart about it. set ur boost to lowest with the MBC and small adjustments to desired boost level.(so you dont over-boost and melt a piston or do a head-gasket)

make sure all vac lines are tight on the turbo, waste-gate, MBC and intake plenum.

advised to run a rising fuel rate reg as well.

M3ZZA

Reaction score
Members Ride
86 VL Turbo SL soon to be canary yellow bt1 mock
he was running 10psi no cooler he said he has to run the top fuels otherwise it would ping, dont know how his brother tuned it but his bro is a mechanic and has had more vlt's then i have fingers so i dont know what ecu and ect just the boost and no cooler i couldnt believe it either. im gonna do my setup the right way.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
There isn't really much you can tune with a stock ECU, and they would not have bothered spending a lot of money on aftermarket ECU without an intercooler. You probably could run 10psi with no cooler but you would have to retard the ignition timing so far it would be a horrible thing to drive off boost. Without a cooler I wouldn't go above 7psi, with a front mount intercooler and proper piping, if you engine is in good condition you should be able to safely run 10psi, after that it really depends on a lot of other things, such as if your fuel pump is up to the job, how much base timing you are running etc.

speeny

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl turbo
i want to get cooler its a safer way of doing it with dose setup then ecu

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
You need ecu+injectors, do it all at once and do it properly, saves a lot of problems.

speeny

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl turbo
alright so i need ecu. turbo. cooler. boost controller. injectors. manifold.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
You don't need a boost controller, I would get the setup running well on the stock actuator boost then add a controller later, you can just add a $30 bleed valve once it is all running correctly. You need a dump/front pipe also. For your turbo you need to get the chinese T04e flange from eBay then get it welded onto a dump/front pipe, easiest thing to do is get a $180 pacemaker 3" VL front pipe from a good exhaust shop, take the flange to them and get them to weld it on for you.

M3ZZA

Reaction score
Members Ride
86 VL Turbo SL soon to be canary yellow bt1 mock
yeah im doing it all once i am even going with a 2.5 litre surge tank and a bosch 044 external then fuel pressure reg with gauge and brown tops and 3ta or 3tm ecu. lol crazy how this thread has turned into a turbo conversion thread, but i am curious on how you went with the block drilling ?