Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vl timing belt?

starfire vc

now on 10 pound
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL turbo, RB30ET VH wagon, 64 EH in the build.
bit hard to explain without pics. but the spring goes on the tensioner and reacts off the small threaded stud to the right of it looking from the front of the motor.put it on in such a way so as the pully flicks around to the right (toward the belt)

Panama

Reaction score
Members Ride
'87 VL Calais with L67
i remember back in 2007 when this was oriiginally asked...

starfire vc

now on 10 pound
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL turbo, RB30ET VH wagon, 64 EH in the build.
i remember back in 2007 when this was oriiginally asked...

Hahaha yip yip , i havnt been on here for ages and i see one of my old posts is up the top. lol. Was funny reading back, Ive done about 6 timming belts in vls now. lol

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
bit hard to explain without pics. but the spring goes on the tensioner and reacts off the small threaded stud to the right of it looking from the front of the motor.put it on in such a way so as the pully flicks around to the right (toward the belt)
I understand your answer because I have done a few myself and you,ve explained it pretty well however I will add that when the spring is installed against that stud it just doesn't look right BUT IT IS RIGHT.

brokenback

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Urrggh sorry to bring up old thread but need assistance timing TDC.

Took head of VL RB30 had head done; machined cleaned; studs etc Put on new tensioner; water pump; and belt. Lined up bottom crank cog with mark(s) and TDC with cam mark (ensure both #1 valves closed) new belt on using correct belt direction and 2 yellow marks on belt (that are 53 tooth/spaces apart) that align with mark(s) on each gear. Tensioned belt all good.

But

Rotated engine with crank bolt and marks do not cycle back to alignment! Looks to be a few cogs out. It hasn't jumped teeth that I know of. Yet engine should repeat it's rotational sequence and marks should come back to TDC marked positions. It doesn't!

Sigh ...anyone?

edit:

Ahhh my stupidity...the belt marks will not line up after rotation but the CAM and crank relationship marks will .....and will be 53 cogs apart....I've answered my own question....I'll just go punch myself now.

Last edited: