Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vl Under-bonnet Mods where 2 start ?

dan_man31

now projecting oh yeah :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
vf ss-v 6spd ute
wow

hey bextor wats with the personal attacks first of all in saying turbo's are crap in my opinion they are in comparison with the turbo's im not an A grade mechanic but i know that a supercharger supplys instant power turbo's have the lag this is only my opinion also who ever said n e thing about a 14" Tacho? Why?

also i agree with your remarks on the 3 1/2 inch exhaust i meant the 2 1/2

and $3500 would not cover the bits to install a turbo then u need to start installing bigger things such as i believe an intercooler which retail for big $$$$$ also stronger diff heavier tailshaft 4 wheel disc brakes to compensate for the power increase even if it is a small difference i dont know whether u have to do anything physical to the motor im not sure whether u need such things as compresion plates and stuff like that

but in the way of turbos i had a look at the y2k looks decent supporting up to 2000hp seems the way to go (not saying his would do that much)

and i got another question with a turbo in ur standard rb30 would ur auto be able to hold on to a power increase or do u need to start changing that **** as well

baxtor my beer was great thanks for asking :hit:

tell us how it goes thanks sando

good sites for turbo's http://www.turboneticsinc.com/turbochargers.html

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Wasn't a personal attack sorry mate, I just answered your post with my thoughts.

The superchargers- ones that I'm talking about are the cheapo's. Made for a 2litre engine, so its fine for something without much capacity, but as soon as you start bolting it onto a 3 litre, once you hit third gear she'll lose her efficiency and you'll basically be running off the cars own power + a tiny little bit of aid down very low in the range. But as I said, once you start getting 3rd and 4th gears its basically gone.

Yeah its instant, and yes you have the added bonus of being able to have it on a switch. However, with the stock t03 your still looking at boost at around 2 grand, which honestly is barely nothing. Considering idle is around 750rpm and most n/a boys launch at 3ish or more anyway.

The t03 is good for 150-325hp
Whereas the y2k is good for 2000+

With the increase of power output- you get the increase in lag, as it takes longer for the turbo to spool to get more power through the large housings. I believe thats how it works.

Now, you stick a to3 on a low compression turbo, and you've got a nice engine.
However, you stick a to3 on a high compression engine, and you've got yourself an engine that has more low down torque, less lag, and more power on the same boost level.

Decompression plates are an item of interest, alot of people hate them, and alot of people say theres no problems. I personally, am sticking with the high compression and not touching gaskets or decomp plates at all. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Now, costs.. You can say the SC14 setup can be done for 600 dollars on the cheap.
But in reality, alot of people would have alot of trouble getting the mounts made up, the pulley made up, and the piping made up, unless they could find a good friend in the business. Or, on the other hand, they would/ could pay 1800 straight up to have it all installed straight away.

Then you face the brakes/ gearbox strengthening options the same as the turbo. Rear discs and n/a fronts, they aren't flash, but they'll do, as long as you put a priority to do them, as even being plain n/a.. I know mine aren't good enough.

So, 600-1800 for the SC14 setup, without brakes or gearbox.

Turbo, Depends I guess, but I consider myself fairly lucky. Most average prices I see to aim for is 1500. Thats for All the bits you need for the turbo, the turbo ecu, and injectors. I got all mine for 1000..

Intercoolers and go on both, as they both do the same thing, lowering intake temperatures, helping retard premature detonation and thus making your engine run better.

And yeah/ it'll hold the power, but the main problem is getting the timing/ and detonation, well, lack of detonation working to a t. Once you get rid of detonation, if you have any to begin with at stock boost. By retarding your timing etc.

Once you have your timing spot on, and your getting enough fuel, and your intake temp is not too hot and your not getting any pinging, you can crank the boost up a bit, the more you go the more it would be advised to get an intercooler to lower those intake temps, as I said before, to help retard pinging.

VLACS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
did i read correctly

$1500 for a turbo with all the stuff to do including strengthening stuff

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Theres no strenghtening there. As I was trying to say in that previous post was that if your sensible about it you don't need to strenghten anything.

But- It would be advised to upgrade your gearbox and brakes. The manual should live if you treat it nicely, but it'd die after a while, same with the auto, its been done with a transmission cooler, but I think it started slipping pretty quickly.

J

jcd256

SC14 isn't worth it... Go with a whipple blower or something, cost about the same as a turbo will... But a heap more power, and zero lag!

I'm currently planning my upgrades with a whipple charger... Going to be 'spensive in the scheme of things, but the power figures are nuts!

SC-14s are loud as well, and make the car shake like all hell... Don't bother!

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Its cheap power.. Whats wrong with that?

J

jcd256

Cheap, yes... But as a few others have done that I know... They've ended up removing it after things started to rattle off inside the engine bay.

They have lots of torque and so on, and a nice bit of boost untill you get up high, but it's lacking the real power all the way through the gears and so on.

To quote some reasons why from another person I know with a supercharged VL:

SC-14 blower:
No lag.
Low boost only on a 3 litre (6-7psi MAX on a well setup engine)
Cheap.
Poor top-end airflow (boost will drop off as revs get high)
Loud.

Turbo:
Expensive.
Big power figure on a dyno.
In reality, laggy on the street and generally poor response in low rpm situations.
Goes pssssht if you want it to.
Can really run any boost you want to provided you have the money for a big turbo.

Whipple blower:
Ability to run up to 30psi.
Quiet.
About as expensive as a new turbo.
Capable of 700 horses at the engine.
No lag.
Extremely efficient (85% volumetric efficiency everywhere) so no boost drop as RPM increases. Boosts holds constant and massive top-end power is achievable.
Reliable and much less likely to detonate (no exhaust back pressure)

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Why do people always say turbo is expensive, big hp setups are yes with reliability, but if thats the case then the Blower will be just as dear.

Anyway, I'd still like to see it done, I've seen alot of VK's and VH's with huge chargers and absolutely loved them- But I'm yet to see it done nicely on a vl.

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
I wouldn't mind a supercharged RB30, but in doing it I'd be rebuliding and beefing up several key engine components (pistons, bearings) to allow for future expansion. It's the sort of thing that has to be done right.

And don't go sticking moster tachos on Commys, it will only get you disowned.

sando_3000

Prestige Panelbeater
Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VL Berlina 5.0
Lol yeah wats wit ppl puttin the Monster taco's on n e way most i'v seen r in stock (auto) vl's " oh i'v gotta kno when the cars gonna change gears" :p