Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn Converting To RB30 Turbo

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE R8 LS3, VYSS Ute 10.0@146MPH & VYSSTT 525rwkw
Bax said:
I still don't understand why you went the copper head gasket man, the genuine works better then anything around.

ill back this up as well, as we have one on a 10sec vl turbo running 26psi, and yes back then we went through all the crap of getting aftermarket head gaskets to hold, but to no avail, we ended up deciding to go back to a factory nissan head gasket, and to this day it has the original style head gasket still fitted and no problems.

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Can you throw up a daylight pic of your backend, I wanna have a look at the painted Lexcen garnish.... Giving me ideas :) hahaha

Love this conversion mate :)

Cheers
MaT

cohn

VN28CN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais Turbo
Dam car :ranting: , you make take one step forward and three steps back :bang: , everytime i get something done on it, something else needs to be done.
Ohwell, i guess thats all the fun parts of converting a car. :cry:
Got the intercooler lines completed and the oil lines for the turbo done now.
Bloody motors giving me drama now though, cranked it over today and im getting no oil pressure, so the sumps gotta come back off and see whats going on there.
Its getting there, just go the battery in the boot,bloody expensive for 0gauge wire though (150 bucks for 5.5m) dunno if it needs a dry cell battery yet to pass road worthiness, i'll find out later,.
the intakes kinda back together, gotta modify the wiring harness yet.Exhaust is getting put in sometime nextweek.

Heres a picture of the back for ya.
Picture 019s.JPG

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Hey mate, good to see your project coming together. A bloke in my street has just finished his project. It's a 88? skyline wagon (RB30) to a turbo and it has made me fall in love with these motors :D , I would love to put one in my wags, knowing they are a relatively easy conversion.

I work in penrith and it will be great to see this thing out on the steets

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
i dont understand y u didnt just rebuild the buick and turbo that.. isnt putting a rb30 in it a bit of a step backwards? i spose its a good mod cause its different

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
Must admit, Ive got nothing but respect for the rb30, we have one in our patrol and its done over 320k in a 2 tonne 4wd with any major work done and maybe 12 oil changes in its life. Still goes strong.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Keesh said:
i dont understand y u didnt just rebuild the buick and turbo that.. isnt putting a rb30 in it a bit of a step backwards? i spose its a good mod cause its different

Saves 3 grand on an emmisions test for a start, that's the main reason

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
i thought you couldnt put an older motor into a newer car ( also for emissions reasons ) correct me if wrong

but as for the car, looks great, as mentioned colour suits it nicely, coming though very clean.

you will be posting sound files of the engine and exhaust once you get it goign smoothly... right? :p

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The law isn't that you can't put an older motor in a newer car, but the engine has to have passed the same emissions test as the car it's going in OR a newer one. The RB30 passed ADR 37 in the VL and ADR 37/00? in the Series 3 Skyline which is the same emssions test as the VN so it's all good. Some engineers will tell you you can't do this, but most will. Some engineers have no idea what's going despite being engineers :)

Last edited: