Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn ecu used for other motors??

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
ever since i have got my eprom burner it has got me thinking. what else could you adapt the loom to. i have a 13b rotary to put in my mazda 929 two door hopefully some time this year. and i was thinking, seeing rotary's run two rotors and 3 firing points per rotor that sort of makes the same sparking as as a 6 cylinder.. and as the vn's run two injector drivers and some injection setups ya buy for rotary's run two injectors.. i would think ya would then have to get a crank sensor to run in place of the distributer which are quite easy to find. then run a couple of single coils packs, (Which i have off a ca18).
this is probably wasteing anybody's time who is reading this but it was just a thought of maybe a cheap way or injecting my mazda for when i turbo it. then i wouldn't have to go the draw through turbo setup..
i am sure there are many things i havn't taken into account that i odn't know about but i thought it may be possible thats all. and now seeing how tuneable the delco ecu's are i thought it would be alright to use a delco..

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
just had another thought that might stuff things up... rotarys have a funn firing order. where they run two spark plugs each rotor. i can't remember properly but i think the top fires first then the bottom then maybe the top straight after. it is a funny old setup.. so yeah maybe it would be a lot easier to get a mazda ecu???

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
the 808 has been used on just about anything, its just a matter of setting up crank sensing & firing bits & pieces, & getting it to run.lol
fairly straight forward.

Rob

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
well i spose it is something to think about then.. i was just thinking about it. and each revoloution of a roary motor it will spark 18 times. i am pretty sure that is right. i was looking at a thing on some web site about how they worked. and i do remember one plug did spark twice. but i spose part of that would be built into the crank angle sensor i spose.. i know the rotor buttons on my distrubutor is a cranky looking thing..

MBS206

Reaction score
Firing order will stuff you up.
They're quite strange.

From memory, one top, then it's bottom fires, but slightly after the first one top fires the second top fires, and then the bottom on it fires, kinda like top-top --- bottom - bottom

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
ok. ya might be right. bit i thought the bottom only fired once.. but could be wrong.. i think that would be the hardest of the puzzle..

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
As Bob has said the delco has been used to fire lots of different engines. I have seen on a website somewhere a Harley that was modded to run the delco set up. These run a odd firing set up due to the angle of the cylinders. I am pretty sure it was on the kalmaker website.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The firing order has nothing to do with anything, the rotors run a dizzy that will control all that anyway right? so don't worry about that

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
yeah i was thinking that. but i wasn't sure. i might just have a go at it one day. i reckon it would be a cheap way of fuel injecting it. then again ya would have to use the delco compatable sensors though. wouldn't ya..

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
can the delco be use as just fuel only or not.. just out of interest.. i don't think i would be going that way. but i thought ya never know...