Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn stalling at idle

vnv6 wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn v6 commodore wagon
yeh it loves it it wont stall in gear but when i put the clutch in it stalls and some times it doesnt quite stall it drops then goes back up like u say. what do u mean by an extra load of p.s ??? power steering?

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
Yeah power steering, puts more load on the engine when you turn at slower speed vs higher speed. Just think back to the non power steering days when you had to park the car :p

If i ever remember to get another IAC valve ill let you know :)

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
The stalling issues with VN's are so common - they all do it at some point because of the age of the car. I'd also check the ECU, CAS, DFI & coils if the IAC valve fails to fix it.

jamiepasslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Series 1 S-Pack
yeh it does actueally do it when im braking and also how do i adjust the base idle i thoought it was all done by computer.

The cars usually cut out when slowing down or stopping because the carbon is blocking up the throttle opening and the IAC valve cannot supply enough air to keep the car running. This is why we need to make sure that the throttle body is clean and set a base idle.

You can clean the throttle body and adjust the base idle quite easily. Follow the below steps

1. start the car and get it to normal running temperature.
2. switch off the car and remove the intake pipe going to the throttle body.
3. hold the throttle open and clean the carbon from the throttle body with petrol on a rag or carby cleaner.
4. start the car and let it idle.
5. block off the hole on the throttle body going to the IAC valve (on the right as you are looking at it).
6. Adjust the throttle stop screw so that the engine is just ticking over.(Usually about 450 - 500 rpm).
7. take your finger off the IAC valve port and let the car come back to a normal idle. You can if you wish spray carby clean into the IAC valve port to give it a quick clean but it is usually not required.
8. refit your intake pipe.

That's it. Now the rpm you set the base idle at is the minimum rpm that the engine will get to. Do this before you spend a lot of time diagnosing or replacing parts as it will usually fix the issue.

Hope it helps

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
I don't think spraying carby cleaner into the IAC is a good idea. I've read that the solvent can bugger the insulation on the motor insode it.
If it's that blocked up it's stalling I think the best solution is to remove the throttle body from the car then remove the IAC and throttle position sensor and clean it off the car. If the IAC itself is blocked up clean it gently with a bit of wire and if you need to spray use WD40.
To test the IAC I think you connect it back to the wiring and turn the ignition on and the valve shoudl go up and down a few times.
I'd be buying a new one not a 2nd hand one if it needs to be replaced.

vnv6 wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn v6 commodore wagon
ok i have removed the throttle body from my car and have cleaned extremely well however its still doing it its so i bought a new iac sensor and its still doing it any other ideas guys??

cheers

h0Ld3n`VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
NO CAR ATM.. -.-
i have the same problem to sometimes im scared that my car will stall before i get to stop at a traffic light :p
i did all that above steps awhile back even changing motors didnt help :S. its possibly a vacuum leak changing the hose's/new throttle gaskets might help

h0Ld3n`VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
NO CAR ATM.. -.-
ok i went outside n hour ago just to check for vacuum leaks etc
n i found that one vac line was damaged (hidden) u had to kinda bend it to see it
so i changed all the lines
idles so much better smoother not sounding like it wants to stall!
but not sure how it drives yet :p

purrVN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 Executive
yeh i do service it it does idle but wen i gear down to a roundabout it will stall sometimes when i try to start it again it wont start and all i can smell is fuel although not the fuel pump it seems to be working fine??? weird huh

and to mischa that does make sence but i took all my aircon out because it was stuffed and was draining my battery.

all you can smell is fuel you say? have you checked for a fuel leak? possibly from the fuel pressure regulator for the lines onto it... i dunno if this would be causing you're issue though but it wouldn't be helping