Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN V6 TRANSMISSION Problems

prince_dj666

hypo v6
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2112842/1
SlickHolden said:
This sounds just like my old tranny just before it died. Reved and wouldn't move dropped gears and then lost gears 3-4. I could be going down the road and if it went into 3rd it would just rev out and not move.

Also your vibrations i think are common with many V6's. I had at times a bad vibration straight through the car it shook all over the place. Sometimes when going hard it vibrated and sometimes slowing down and going around a corner it would vibrate really bad when pulling away in 2nd. I had a crack in the tailshaft and once replaced no more vibrations. Most of the tailshafts in the V6's get out of balance easy to.

i know what u mean bout the vibrations... but its a new abnormal vibration...

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
prince_dj666 said:
i know what u mean bout the vibrations... but its a new abnormal vibration...
Does the middle of your dash vibrate also? Sounds like at times it back at the diff?.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
check the centre hanger bearing and rubber support, when this goes it's just like having an outa balance shaft. if you thrash your auto always fit a bigger trans cooler. Holden even recommend their extra trans cooler kit if you use the car for a lot of towing etc it's just another little radiator fitted in front of the big radiator and after the fluid goes through the radiator/trans cooler it then goes through the extra cooler before going back to the trans. how long since you last had the tranny serviced, full flush etc old fluid become air-rated and that leads to slippage as the fluid can't provide full presure on the servos and you have a stuffed tranny in no time at all

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
SlickHolden said:
It sounds like a unbalanced tail shaft to me they can get pretty bad when they are gone.
Yes they can get horrid! It has happened to be before, the vibrations were shocking from the tailshaft. I found out that it wasnt the Universal joint, but the flex joint that was all fooked up. just get a new tailshaft and it was gone forever!

prince_dj666

hypo v6
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2112842/1
last night... 1st gear slips, till it hits 2nd... then it moves but then at higher revs it slips again.... in 4th it shakes the whole car. gearbox has had it :( time for a new car. been thinking of a na vl 5speed.. i dont really wanna spend too much on the vn nemore fixing it....

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
prince_dj666 said:
last night... 1st gear slips, till it hits 2nd... then it moves but then at higher revs it slips again.... in 4th it shakes the whole car. gearbox has had it :( time for a new car. been thinking of a na vl 5speed.. i dont really wanna spend too much on the vn nemore fixing it....
You could pick one up for $1100, Or convert it to 5 speed, Is it a problem child the car?.

Mack said:
Yes they can get horrid! It has happened to be before, the vibrations were shocking from the tailshaft. I found out that it wasnt the Universal joint, but the flex joint that was all fooked up. just get a new tailshaft and it was gone forever!
Same here new tailshaft and it's vibration proof:D I didn't know myn was cracked:eek: