Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN-VS - Change gear selector LED

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
iv changed mine about 3 times and it works while its pulled apart but once i stick everything back togther the lights gone again, which means i gotta put my dome lamp on everytime i wanna put it in gear at nite

And_ROOS

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV +6
I havent chnaged the led myself but this is how you get to it.

*Red circles indicate the position of where to do things from*

1. Locate cover covering gear selector
gear%20selector%20001.jpg

2. Pull the cover up covering the gear selector
gear%20selector%20002.jpg

3. Unplug the (2) plugs connected to the cigaret lighter
gear%20selector%20003.jpg

4. Turn the cover as pictured and pull the cover up from the back pushing towards the front of the car
gear%20selector%20004.jpg

5. Remove the gear selector plate (mark where it sits for refitment) and the cover over the power button
gear%20selector%20005.jpg

6. Remove the gear selector by twisting the back end down and sliding over the gear stick (be careful not to snap it, i broke mine and replaced from wreckers for $5)
gear%20selector%20006.jpg

7. Replace the LED globe which is clearly in veiw
gear%20selector%20007.jpg

8. The white plate held on by 4 screws may need to be taken off but thats very straight forward on how to take off

9. Do this tutorial in reverse to put it all back together

Hope this helps!

I plan on putting a Red LED there, was wondering how hard it is to make the dash lights a colour other then green, like a Red or something? Has anyone tried anything like that/

terry1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Berlina Commodore
this is so helpful thank you alot.
is it possiable to change the led color?? how much would i be looking at for a new light color. thanks.

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
ive tried to do the speedo, but the guages have green plastic which cant be scratched off, i scratched them a little then used some reeeli bright leds so they still come out blue, i had to change the needles to white so that i could see them

SEN215

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV VS SENATOR 215
Super old thread but any chance of reloading the photos?

cheers

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Super old thread but any chance of reloading the photos?

cheers
U can see them on ebay, get the smd style they are much brighter, blue and green make the colour cyan so what ever colour you get make sure the 2 colours wont change what your looking for, if you get led they wont be very bright in spots, I took my needles off and painted them with white needle paint after scraping off the old paint, use a grey lead pencil and mark the needle spots so when you put them on you have the mark to line them back up, it may take a few attempts to line them up, I also sprayed my black insert divider in silver.

SEN215

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV VS SENATOR 215
U can see them on ebay, get the smd style they are much brighter, blue and green make the colour cyan so what ever colour you get make sure the 2 colours wont change what your looking for, if you get led they wont be very bright in spots, I took my needles off and painted them with white needle paint after scraping off the old paint, use a grey lead pencil and mark the needle spots so when you put them on you have the mark to line them back up, it may take a few attempts to line them up, I also sprayed my black insert divider in silver.
Cheers mate but I was after the photos of how to take the whole centre console out, not the lights