Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vp 355 stroker exhaust problem

KRiSX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 355 Stroker
Hey all,

Ran into a problem on my way to summernats 25 today. Cops and EPA were out in force and long story short I failed the noise test.

My current system is a 2.5" cross over to dual pipes. Don't know much about it apart from that as it was already on the car when I got it over 2 years ago.

I tested at 94db and apparently need it to be under 90.

$150 fine later and I'm stuffed if I know what to do next!

Help!!??

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
Get a different exhaust, get defect cleared..

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I read somewhere that there was leeway with the exhaust noise levels. I think it was something like "the level must not exceed the prescribed level by more than 5dBA". This was in NSW too, I would look into that.

Barter78

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
Oh the lovely fuzz..
It's really hard to get a stroker quite unless you've got a stock system. Mate of mine has electric bypass values on his VE maloo. Cost a bit to set up but works a treat. Hit the switch and she's quite as for a 6.2lt with 465 hp atw's. He's got massive custom made extractors and twin three inch exhaust.
Or you could try some good old fashion hot dogs. 4 DB over is really nit picking though.

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
Just get a very short length of pipe with the end blanked off and use it to block off one of the pipes and see if that shuts it up enough for a test. Try both sides (one at a time, that is!)

KRiSX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 355 Stroker
thanks for the tips... really don't want to have to change the exhaust over all this... few people have said try the old steel wool up the exhaust pipe trick but i dunno how game i am lol

i'm very lucky i wasn't 1 more db (5 or higher) as the fine would have gone from $150 to $250... revenue raising pricks...

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Hey all,

Ran into a problem on my way to summernats 25 today. Cops and EPA were out in force and long story short I failed the noise test.

My current system is a 2.5" cross over to dual pipes. Don't know much about it apart from that as it was already on the car when I got it over 2 years ago.

I tested at 94db and apparently need it to be under 90.

$150 fine later and I'm stuffed if I know what to do next!

Help!!??

:rofl: Whoda thought the police would blitz on Summernats weekend :rofl:. Really, your only alternative is to shut it up and get a noise test done on it.

Reaper

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
What rev range did they test the car at? Just get another muffler put in the rear and see how that goes?

KRiSX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 355 Stroker
some of the replies make it sound like i intended it to be loud... i didn't... i bought the car with the exhaust it has now and didn't even think it would be "too loud"...

apparently it was tested at 3500rpm... i'm trying to find out if thats right or not but i can't find the info online... only that it must be under 90db for a car and 94 for a motorbike :\

it really shits me how quiet my car is compared to sooooo many other things on the road though and i'm one of the couple dozen that got pulled over... the cops basically had a spotter looking for nice/done up cars and pulled em over no matter what feeding them to the EPA arseholes

@Reaper... i've driven to summernats a few times in my car (this was my first year entering) and i've never run into a setup like this... so take your sarcasm elsewhere mate... it was total bullshit and its as simple as that

KRiSX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 355 Stroker
just found the paperwork and had a bit of a read... it say 90db @ 3300rpm... my fiance saw he was going over that to 3500 or so... so i'm not sure what they are actually meant to test at

anyway to find this out?