Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vp 355 stroker exhaust problem

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Think hear in Vic they test the car at 3000 rmp or idle.. Did they sticker the car or just a fine? Sucks ass mate.. Just a quick question about your stroker, did you build it or came with the car and how much would a 355 kit be worth?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The road side test is done to the testing person's satisfaction. Not all conditions in the ADR testing procedures are strictly adhered to, but if the car fails a road side test, the procedure is pretty close so it would fail anyway.

Have the noise test done at an EPA testing station and they will give you a more accurate level.

What's your intake like? Sometimes just changing to a stock panel filter can drop the exhaust noise a couple of dBA.

revhead1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore v8
get a thin plate cut with a smaller hole in the middle and put in between ur flange where the exhaust bolts together ... just dont rev the car to hard cause ur restricting the exhaust a fair bit or chicken wire and steel wool does the job also as long as it wont come flying out mid test lol

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
get a thin plate cut with a smaller hole in the middle and put in between ur flange where the exhaust bolts together ... just dont rev the car to hard cause ur restricting the exhaust a fair bit or chicken wire and steel wool does the job also as long as it wont come flying out mid test lol

Your an idiot.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
some of the replies make it sound like i intended it to be loud... i didn't... i bought the car with the exhaust it has now and didn't even think it would be "too loud"...

apparently it was tested at 3500rpm... i'm trying to find out if thats right or not but i can't find the info online... only that it must be under 90db for a car and 94 for a motorbike :\

it really shits me how quiet my car is compared to sooooo many other things on the road though and i'm one of the couple dozen that got pulled over... the cops basically had a spotter looking for nice/done up cars and pulled em over no matter what feeding them to the EPA arseholes

@Reaper... i've driven to summernats a few times in my car (this was my first year entering) and i've never run into a setup like this... so take your sarcasm elsewhere mate... it was total bullshit and its as simple as that

IIRC the ADR is measured at 3500 RPM. I've never been to Sumernats but have been passing by Canberra that weekend to know it's defect central. Particularly on the Hume to/from Melb/Syd.

The test is at 3500 RPM. No way around that.

Reaper

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
This will actually work, but don't any smaller than 2" for the internal hole. Won't affect performance for the purposes of the test.

revhead1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore v8
'wraith' im not an idiot because they both work and it means he can put em in , pass the test n then take em back out because like he said his exhaust isnt that loud to start with, so why waste money buying a new exhaust or welding in hot dogs if he dosnt hafta and u can still rev the car at 3500 with either in u just cant go out n thrash it

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
I know it works but if you have to resort to those tactics to pass a test then your better off making it legal.

revhead1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore v8
fair enough i agree but if hes stuck and needs a quick fix to get his car home then they work well

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
I agree also. Although 4 db is just petty.