Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VQ-Hard Power Steering

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
2 different kits.

kGSP-3100-c.jpg

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Big T those aftermarket pumps are garbage. The only good pumps are genuine. I can get a rebuilt gen pump for cheaper than the **** ones you listed, just saying.
Kelso are from Holden, if his got the normal one you can get gasket kits but I say its only the pressure control valve is the issue.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Thanks. I have the original GMH VQ manuals and I had a look today. The VQ system is a bit simpler than the VR/VS looking at your attachments.
I picked up a rebuilt pump today- for some reason the variable steering Saginaw pump is different to the standard steering VP V8 pump- the older guys at the parts shop were adamant about this & checked the part number on the pump case before they would sell it to me.
I believe the VP rack in the v6 or V8 are the same as VQ.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Thanks Trevor. I've got a rebuilt original pump- fastest way to get the car back on the road. I hope the rack's OK- it worked fine when tested with the wheels off the ground as you suggested.

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
Are valves available?

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Thanks Trevor. I've got a rebuilt original pump- fastest way to get the car back on the road. I hope the rack's OK- it worked fine when tested with the wheels off the ground as you suggested.
Long as there no blockage in the rack fluid system I don't see it be a problem, fingers crossed.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Even with this rebuild kit I'd still have to make sure the flow control valve in the bottom of the pump was working properly. I don't know how to check it, so a rebuilt Saginaw was the best option.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Fitted the rebuilt pump from Active Power Steering in Revesby and all is working well.

When I was researching the pump installation in the green GMH original manuals I noticed the support bracket for the fluid supply and return lines was missing. The fluid return line could have been touching the exhaust header if the engine mounts deflected slightly.
Rerouted the two pipes and covered them with Reflecta Sleeve.

Hopefully that's the end of the matter.