Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr 5 litre running rough when hot nearly stalls when takeing off

Critterkent

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr ute 5 litre
My ute drives fine when its cold once I have been driving for 45 mins or temp goes over half it will start running rough . when takeing off from lights it will nearly stall any ideas would be great not sure where to start

H

harrop.senator

Whats the timing set at? Id be checking all ignition items for wear higher temps = higher resistance and more breakdown.

Critterkent

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr ute 5 litre
Whats the timing set at? Id be checking all ignition items for wear higher temps = higher resistance and more breakdown.
I'm not to sure about the timing what its set at and thank you I will start checking ignition items also how would I check to see what the timing is set at

H

harrop.senator

Its gay as 304 dizzys with banana manifolds are pretty pooey . But put it into diagnostics mode and use a timing light on it. If you dont have a timing light google how to make one i think its one earth one wrapped around cyl1 plug top n the boot shoved over connected to a globe been a long time since that lesson.

H

harrop.senator

What sort of running rough is it? Rough is USUALLY ignition or fuel. Do you have a pressure tester? If no wait til it gets rough running put a ziptie or clamps on fuel return line sometimes pumps get hot and start to fail.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I usually change coil & fuel pump with general service if I don't know history of the car..rules most things out.

Regularly do fault check on these,it's easy...if really game compression test.

If still got a miss start looking at ignition module & other things.

By the end of it not much left to check but you'll know what's working.

Critterkent

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr ute 5 litre
Its gay as 304 dizzys with banana manifolds are pretty pooey . But put it into diagnostics mode and use a timing light on it. If you dont have a timing light google how to make one i think its one earth one wrapped around cyl1 plug top n the boot shoved over connected to a globe been a long time since that lesson.
okay ill give that a go I have had some previous problems with the ignition module before put a cheap one in lasted few months and swapped back to the old one and ran fine until now

Critterkent

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr ute 5 litre
What sort of running rough is it? Rough is USUALLY ignition or fuel. Do you have a pressure tester? If no wait til it gets rough running put a ziptie or clamps on fuel return line sometimes pumps get hot and start to fail.
its running rough as I loss of power when accelerating nearly stalls taking off from the lights and idles rough at the lights

Critterkent

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr ute 5 litre
I usually change coil & fuel pump with general service if I don't know history of the car..rules most things out.

Regularly do fault check on these,it's easy...if really game compression test.

If still got a miss start looking at ignition module & other things.

By the end of it not much left to check but you'll know what's working.
I have recently replaced the coil and the fuel pump

H

harrop.senator

Alternators charging correctly isnt running on battery only at idle? Is it missing ? Does the dash dim? Sorry man need a little more in depth description.