Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR 6 heater core flush

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’m aware of cutting the pipes. I think it’s incredibly dangerous. The hoses go onto pipes with no bead and if there ever was some excessive pressure, becomes the weakest point in the cooling system. That’s right where the drivers legs are. It would be a truly horrible pain and easily lead to a major road incident.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I read somewhere on here that a dishwasher tablet is a good chemical flush for cooling systems. Pop one in and drive it for a few hours, presumably over a few days then do a full system flush.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I’m aware of cutting the pipes. I think it’s incredibly dangerous. The hoses go onto pipes with no bead and if there ever was some excessive pressure, becomes the weakest point in the cooling system. That’s right where the drivers legs are. It would be a truly horrible pain and easily lead to a major road incident.

It's certainly a concern however slightly misplaced I think. You cut the heater pipes, put in a new heater with cut pipes that should butt up the original pipes and then slide rubber hose over the joints to connect them. The hose can't really pop off the end of the steel pipe as such, sure it could leak but I don't see a catastrophic failure happening, it wouldn't be a weaker joint than any other in the cooling system where a flexi rubber hose joints to a fixed one, if anything, it would be stronger.

If really concerned, you should be able to flare the pipes with a bead tool.
iu

Dunlop

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR Commodore Acclaim
Valid point - have never heard of the connection hoses failing though or any warnings about not using that method. I was thinking a lot about it and felt that if two circlips or bolted clips (?) were used on either side of each connection, failure would be very unlikely. As the pipes heat up, they would expand slightly and the rubber connector pipe would become stickier, it would probably help seal even more. Just having four circlips on each rubber hose would probably be enough to ensure a full and safe seal...

Dunlop

Reaction score
Members Ride
I read somewhere on here that a dishwasher tablet is a good chemical flush for cooling systems. Pop one in and drive it for a few hours, presumably over a few days then do a full system flush.
That's an interesting one - if you put a Finish one in it would probably fix it alright. Can't work out where they get the money for so many ads...

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
You need to make sure the heater tap is OPEN as you try to flush the heater core via the heater hoses under the bonnet… if it remains blocked then the heater core needs to come out. They normally fail well before they block up. Just check someone hasn’t blocked either of the hoses to stop the core from leaking.

Dunlop

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks - easy to forget. I once blew an input hose on a Peugeot when I forgot to open the tap and attached a garden hose to the input hose. My heater is still working - just not super hot and takes some minutes to heat up.

You need to make sure the heater tap is OPEN as you try to flush the heater core via the heater hoses under the bonnet… if it remains blocked then the heater core needs to come out. They normally fail well before they block up. Just check someone hasn’t blocked either of the hoses to stop the core from leaking.