Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr Caliper anchor/mounting bolts

J

jayderichards

hi!

am having a bit of trouble with the anchor bolts on my vr. i want to change both pads and rotors and am starting with the front and doing all around along with a good dose of new brake fluid too!

just wondering if anyone has any suggestions apart from WD40 and a breaker bar. I have tried slogging it out with a ratchet and rubber mallet. Its just too far stuck on there!

it doesnt even budge!!!

thank you! :)

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
Who did them up last time?...did they use a rattle gun?? lol
Seriously though WD40 would be your best bet, possibly water inbetween threads causing it to bind up. For the front this works, unsure of rears, but there is also 2 ways to undo your calipers to change pads. There are the 2 bolts that hold the caliper onto the stub axel and undo to remove the caliper completely, then there are 2 other bolts that are slightly smaller, they hold the piston part of the caliper onto the sliders that move back and forth with aplication of the brakes. Undo the smaller bolts, either 1 or 2 of them (just the bottom 1 and the piston part of the caliper will swing upwards giving you access to replace the pads) and that should get you around it. My advice, which ever bolts you undo to get the job done, is spray a bit of WD40 on the threads to stop this problem happening again. Hope this helps, good luck and hopefully you don't snap the head off the bolt.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
I hear your pain, I've had this problem. I usually end up laying right under the car with my foot pressed against the wheel arch and yanking like hell with both hands. I'm usually using a socket or just a ring spanner. I've found bouncing your body weight as you pull on the spanner usually gets it. But make sure the car is secure up there as this can go real bad if you pull too hard, I usually lay my wheels under the side skirts as well as jack and car stands etc.

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Using the breaker bar,put it in a position in which you can hold or keep a bit of weight on it and use a small clubby hammer give the breaker bar a good sharp wack so you shock it loose.A rubber mallet wont do as all it is doing is absorbing the blow.If they havent been off before chances are the threads still have loktite holding them.You can spray wd40 all day long but it wont help as the bolts are just tight not rusted on,you could even slip a length of pipe over the breaker bar to help with the leverage,BUT make sure the socket is sitting square on the head of the bolt,because if it rolls and rounds the head,you,ll have a prick of a time getting the socket to sit on it again.Best bet is a 8 point impact socket (if you can get hold of one),but a good sharp wack works everytime and leaves everything undamaged,

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Breaker bar with a length of water pipe as a handle extension, effectively making the breaker bar 3 foot long, no bolt can stand up to it.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
make sure you at least use a thread locker when putting it all back together. Manual says some of those bolts are single use only therefore should be replaced. I would not recommend the WD40 option when re-assembling

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
A hammer and ring spanners works for me.

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
WD40/Penetrene bolts. 1/2" breaker with or without pipe. Even use a 3/4" breaker bar if you can't crack it.

Good practice to give bolts a good smack with hammer or punch before attempting to loosen them. By hitting them, it loosens up the threads slightly.

And when reassembling, make sure the bolt threads and anchor plate threads are clean and free and rust. Apply a smear of antiseize on the bolts and torque to correct specification or bloody tight.

J

jayderichards

thanks guys. im going to give it a shot on saturday so i have sunlight with me. from the looks of things, id say the guy i got to do my pads and rotors may have used a rattle gun on it.. im hoping not!! i managed to get the caliper off and can change pads but the rotors will soon be cactus so i wanna try to get it done sooner the better :)
thank you for all the suggestions. i bought a breaker bar today and a bit of wd 40.

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
I have used WD40 on caliper bolts, wheel nuts and probably a couple of other bits and pieces. Stops threads from binding up or getting water in them and rusting, you don't need to drench bolts in it just enough to cover the threads. Learnt it from relatives that race speedway, has been doing it for years so I know it works